Going For First Lesson - Expectations

DanFo

So, I'm going for my first lesson on Wednesday (I still can't believe I found someone). And seeing as how this is my first lesson, what should I expect? I have certain things I want to learn, so should I bring this up first? And how will I tell if this person is legit and will actually be able to teach me something?

This person is a graduate of Berklee in Pro Tools, has over 30 years of experience, has played with numerous bands, and the lessons are held in the recording space (so it seems that music is this persons life).

If anyone can give me some insight it would be great.

Yeah, I don't get the Pro Tools bit either...

I wouldn't worry too much about the lesson. It will all probably take care of itself. I think most instructors want to get a feel for where you are and what your goals are. He/She may assess your playing and go from there with suggesstions/lessons geared towards achieving your goals.

You didn't say how long you've been playing. If you're just starting out, you'll most likely start by learning basic music reading and rudiments.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I wouldn't try expecting anything. You are a blank slate. After it's over, you should listen to your gut feeling as to whether this person is a good fit or not.

The instructor will ask you some questions to get a fix on what you are looking for from the lessons.
He will then evaluate your playing and he will determine a place to start.
He will have a lesson plan mapped out for you by the next meeting.

If he hooks electrodes up to your body and begins to turn knobs on a large machine with sparks flying everywhere I would begin to worry!

Have fun and learn Pro Tools Drumming :)

@ bo eder - Well I'm gunna take actual drum lessons but I'll use his knowledge of Pro Tools so I could possibly get into my own recording.

@ brady - I've been playing for aout 7 years so I thought it was time to step my game up.

@ larryace, dairyairman, bobdadruma - Thanks for the info, it all helps.

Back