Left Hand/Coordination/Open-Handed

DanFo

So here's my deal. I basically have a whole summer just to practice some stuff. I really wanna focus on my left hand which would then help my coordination and my open-hand playing.

I'm looking for some exercises I could possibly do that would benefit all three at the same time so I don't waste time. And is there anything else other than the classic RLL and RLLL to strengthen my left hand. And lastly, what are some good tempos to be doing these exercises at, fast or slow?

The book The Weaker Side Stephane Chamberland and Dom Famularo is a good on. You can do it daily for an hour.

You might also consider learning to play your favorite grooves leading with your left. With just a little bit of creativity you can organize a great practice routine that you can modify as needed. I like to hear people all fired up about a new regimen!

I'll have to buy that book and practicing my grooves lefty is a simple idea, but it's just so logical. I'd love to get a regimen of basically all left hand stuff but it feels so awkward lol But I guess that's the reality of practicing.

I'm starting to improve upon my left hand playing by simply playing a lefty kit. I am actually left handed to begin with, so it doesn't feel completely unnatural to me. I play guitar in a band in which the drummer is a lefty, so I often hop on his kit to offer up ideas and just to jam a bit. It was certainly strange at first, but I'm getting more comfortable with it.

I'm starting to improve upon my left hand playing by simply playing a lefty kit. I am actually left handed to begin with, so it doesn't feel completely unnatural to me. I play guitar in a band in which the drummer is a lefty, so I often hop on his kit to offer up ideas and just to jam a bit. It was certainly strange at first, but I'm getting more comfortable with it.

Man, I think I might have to strangle him if the guitarist got on my drums at practice to "offer up ideas"... just kidding, I couldn't resist.

Man, I think I might have to strangle him if the guitarist got on my drums at practice to "offer up ideas"... just kidding, I couldn't resist.
He knows I'm a drummer more than a guitarist anyway. He plays a bit of guitar as well, so sometimes we switch out playing songs live :)

He knows I'm a drummer more than a guitarist anyway. He plays a bit of guitar as well, so sometimes we switch out playing songs live :)

That is very cool and something I think every crowd likes to see. It's great that you all have the talent to pull it off!

My band is a two piece and we do this all the time. Although my guitarist isn't outstanding on the drums, he's good enough for us to have fun and open some doors when we are stuck writing.

Back