Stick Control Quick Question

DanFo

I'll admit, reading is not my forte. I can do it and it's now what I'm starting to work on. I feel bad about asking this but this is the best place to do it.

Page 9 (triplets) would you just read that:
1 + 2 + 3-trip-let 4-trip-let
1 + 2 + 3-trip-let 4-trip-let
1 + 1 + 3-trip-let 4-trip-let
1-trip-let 2-trip-let 3-trip-let 4-trip-let
I can't get the rhythm of it to sound right or maybe I'm doing it right and it's just annoying me.

Thats exacly how you would count it...sort of

These and alot of the exercises are written in cut time. Cut time basically means that each note value is half of the value (or twice as fast)

I.e Quarter notes would actually be played as 8ths

8ths would be played as 16th etc

So in the examples you are looking at you would count it as follow

| 1 e + a 2 Tri-Plet + Tri- Plet | 1 e + a 2 Tri-Plet + Tri- Plet |

Hope that helps

Dave

Yeah I get how to count it now, thanks Dave. Now just the follow-up, why does it feel so awkward to play. I'll try to put the metronome on 8th notes and the triplets don't line up and I'll put it on triplets and the 8th notes don't line up. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Dan

hey mr danfo

try to set your metronome on quarter notes. in the beginning it's a bit of a challenge to switch from 8ths/16ths into triplets but it's worth the effort.
what you are trying to do is playing polymetric which is in my opinion a bit harder than just hearing the subdivision differently.

all the best

Yeah I get how to count it now, thanks Dave. Now just the follow-up, why does it feel so awkward to play. I'll try to put the metronome on 8th notes and the triplets don't line up and I'll put it on triplets and the 8th notes don't line up. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Dan

If you set the metronome to eighth notes or triplets, you will have to be able to hear a two against three polyrhythm as they will only line up on the quarter note. Since you are probably not comfortable with that, set the metronome to quarter notes.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. And I was thinking it was some sort of polyrhythm since it's two different rhythms. This is the new stuff to me so it's nice to learn about it now.

Back