Genres that you won't play?

Chollyred

Got a call from a guy on bandmix trying to put together a new band. We talked for about an hour. The guy seemed a little flaky, but I figured it might be worth a shot to get together. So last night, he sent me a sample set list. A few of the songs I'm pretty familiar with, but several were new to me. I listened to them online this morning and this stuff is way out of my wheelhouse. It's pretty much very hard rock, head banging, screaming type of stuff. I was thinking that with everyone in their late 50s - early 60s, that it would be more classic, dance type rock (NOT!).

Now I'm not opposed to any kind of music and listen to a lot of alt-rock, metal, etc. and I think I could play it if I wanted to, but I'm pushing 60 pretty hard. I just don't see myself playing that stuff anymore. Maybe 20 years ago...

I know some of the younger guys here play metal, but what about some of the older guys? Are there some things you just won't play?

Nothing wrong with not wanting to play certain styles. In this case, I wouldn't play anything that I think would make me unhappy or leave me unfulfilled, especially when you consider the sort of audience it might attract.

Your post made me smile. :)

When I was young (this sounds weird, to be honest), I loved rock, hard rock, metal, harcore and other, somehow unorthodox, some would say "weird" music. Primus, Fugazi, Henry Rollins etc. I think it is pretty normal that your taste in music changes a lot. You also see it with other famous musicians. In the 1980/90's I loved the stuff Eric Clapton did when he was with Cream. I did not like what he did later as a blues musician. Nowadays I like both things.

20/30 years later, I play jazz, funk, soul, blues and some classic rock (but i really pick the cherrys there). No metal, no hardcore, no crossover-stuff, no hardrock. Just not my cup of tea anymore. Whenever I see a "drummer wanted" thread and read that it's about hardcore, metal, doom-metal, grindcore, punk or hardrock, I pass. I just don't dig that music anymore - which means that I eventually will not perform to the expectations, because the passion for that music is gone. The good thing is: Someone else will usually be there, ready to step in. So this is not something that I need to worry about.

So, to answer your question: Of course there is music that I won't play anymore. Would I be a studio-pro-drummer like e.g. Thomas Lang, it would be a totally different story, I guess. Play what pays the bills.

I think if one is a dyed-in the-wool metal head or 'head banger', you're not going to grow out of that stuff. It always has a place in your life. Such may be the case with the dude you met.
I'm in my 50's and would not play anything harder than say Sabbath or QOTSA.

I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation. So I avoid hardcore jazz, Speed Metal, and Latin gigs. Those aren't my specialties, and it serves nobody if I limp my way through the material.

Apart from those genres, it doesn't really matter if I like or dislike the music I'm asked to play, or whether I think I'm too old for it. I'm probably too old for most of what I play, but that's just tough for the younger drummers that can't keep up! :)

Bermuda

Let's see...genres I won't play:

Polka
Norwegian Black Metal

I think that's about it!

:)

Genres I can't play?

That's a whole other list entirely...

I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation. So I avoid hardcore jazz, Speed Metal, and Latin gigs. Those aren't my specialties, and it serves nobody if I limp my way through the material.

Apart from those genres, it doesn't really matter if I like or dislike the music I'm asked to play, or whether I think I'm too old for it. I'm probably too old for most of what I play, but that's just tough for the younger drummers that can't keep up! :)

Bermuda

I'm like him ^^. Smart enough to know what I don't do well - it has nothing to do with personal preference ;)

I'll play any genre that I can actually play well enough to not fail the music, or my reputation.

Indeed, if I feel that I'm not going to serve that music well, then I will bow out.

If it's for fun, then I'll enjoy playing along with some YES, ASIA, or similar rock in general. If it's for money, then I'll play "Mustang Sally" all night long.

I'm just so tired of distortion and power chords. Nope.

Anything that involves a singer with a thick, Southern draw. Nope.

I'd do most things, but yeah, I'm getting old too and don't really like the metal stuff. Some of that I wouldn't be able to do either.

For one offs and theater it doesn't really matter. It's all good fun.

Regardless of style, it's still mostly about the people.

I think if one is a dyed-in the-wool metal head or 'head banger', you're not going to grow out of that stuff. It always has a place in your life. Such may be the case with the dude you met.
I'm in my 50's and would not play anything harder than say Sabbath or QOTSA.

Sabbath is more metal than the majority of bands who call themselves that now.

Bermuda

I share the same sentiment down to the genres.

I'm 49 and I still play metal. Over the last 2 years, I've toured Europe twice and South America once with different metal bands. I play rock, pop, funk, blues and a little latin as well.

I don't play country. It's just not my thing. I don't even know any country musicians personally.

I'm 49 and I still play metal. Over the last 2 years, I've toured Europe twice and South America once with different metal bands. I play rock, pop, funk, blues and a little latin as well.

I don't play country. It's just not my thing. I don't even know any country musicians personally.

I'm 53 now and in 2005 I was asked about a tour of Japan with a heavy metal project that was being put together. I hated the music they were doing and I felt like I was too old, so I opted out, but now I kinda wish I'd done it.

Other than the limits of my own abilities, I don't rule anything out genre-wise. I just want to play with good musicians. I never want to invite someone to a show I'm doing and be embarrassed by the quality of the performance.

That said, it would take a DAMNED amazing country artist to get me to do that genre again.

Back