The Cymbal move

V

vorsybl

Hello, it's me again, the whiny kid. Lawls. Anyway, I figured I should know how to do this at some point, it's the trick where pro drummers hit the cymbals in a way that it makes one constant kind of drawn out noise. They'll hit the cymbal in what looks like 32nds maybe and it goes from soft to loud, it usually happens in intros or endings. Hope you can understand what I'm talking about, and thanks for sharing the trick.

You got me.

Unless you are simply talking about a cymbal wash.... but there is no trick to that. Can you attach a youtube example? It sounds like you are talking about a wash but you are throwing me off when you say "trick" and "pro drummers" and "32nd" notes.... making it sound more complex than a wash.

Cymbal crescendo's. These tend not to really have a specific rhythm to them, you're just trying to get a consistent voice out of the cymbal. That's why you see drummers rolling so fast, because the decay of a cymbal can very easily get in the way of the crescendo.

Really all you have to do for a crescendo is play a really fast single stroke roll on the edge of the cymbal, starting at a low dynamic and creeping your way up to a high dynamic during the roll.

Really all you have to do for a crescendo is play a really fast single stroke roll on the edge of the cymbal, starting at a low dynamic and creeping your way up to a high dynamic during the roll.

Nicely put.

Vorsybl, getting it right is just feel ... the sticks and cymbal/s you;re using and the type of swell you're trying to create will decide what kind of strokes will get the best result. Obviously, dry cymbals won't wash out as well, though they can create their own effect.

You'll probably find swells most useful at the end of songs. My group has a song where I use mallets throughout and do a range of different swells for effect. Brushes can create a nice, even swell too.

I thought I'd just mention that for that type of thing, its much easier with more responsive, thinner cymbals. If you're using thick cymbals, you'll be able to hear the individual strokes a lot more at a low dynamic. With a thinner cymbal though, they'll open up and be washier at those lower dynamics, which allows you to have a cleaner and more seamless crescendo.

Hey thanks again to everyone for their advice. Yeah I figured when people do it they're not thinking of the exact rhythm...but it had to be something, and its the single stroke

Yeah during the summer I'm not in school and that's where I take my lessons....so its really great that I can just come on here and ask them and get great explanations.

Its so much the quality and thickness of the cymbal.
I cant do it on my old Planet Z cymbals and its to easy on a thin K.

Back