Recording Session Costs?

Clayton_C

Hey all,

I'm a high school senior, and in the course of finding music colleges to go to and setting up auditions, I stumbled across the Dave Brubeck Institue Fellowship, a program where five jazzers (i believe only 17-19 year olds) are auditioned for a quintet, and the audition process - at least the first round - consists of sending in CDs.

I'm grabbing a few of the better players in my area to rehearse a few times and then I'm rolling out the cash to buy a recording session at the local studio. Since I've never actually played a studio gig of this sort, I was wondering how much money I should pay these players? There will probably be 2-3 rehearsals beforehand, and then a 2-3 hour session in the studio.

2 of the players (sax and piano) are good friends that I have played for free of charge, so I'm really just looking a bass player. Ive got a great one in mind, but don't really know him personally so I feel that if I'm gonna pay him, I should pay everyone.

Thanks, Brendan. I have aspirations to become a studio drummer too! Maybe we'll meet up somewhere in the music world one day haha. Great sounding track on your myspace... nicely mixed.
I had been thinking somewhere along the lines of 100. Thanks for the advice. :)

Back