Bands and tempo arguments

I play to a click, partly because: Our guitar player has rushed the tempo for years, stumbling over too-complex-note solos, and speeding ahead with licks and rhythm. TO ME, IT MAKES THE REST OF THE BAND SOUND SLUGGISH, WHEN HE IS AHEAD OF EVERYONE !! The rest of the band has very good tempo. He acknowledges he rushes, but it's beginning to be a major irritation to me. The most delicate way, I guess, is to give him a list of the song SECTIONS that are the biggest problems, and politely suggest he pay a bit more attention to those parts. AS AN INTERESTING SIDE NOTE: I saw a mini-clinic by Dave Elitch. He says he uses a click 99% of the time, and WHEN HE TURNS IT OFF ON THE FEW OCCASIONS, HE FEELS LIKE THE "RUG HAS BEEN PULLED OUT FROM UNDER HIM".....that's the same way I feel, the click-track in-the-ears makes my rhythm SEEM stronger than it would without.

I've just found this thread, and I relate to it so much.

I've recently left a band where the guitarist was always complaining that every song was too fast (including the songs he started), while the keyboard player was always complaining they were too slow. If I looked left, the signal was to pull it back, if I looked to the right, the signal was to push ahead. I'd just shrug, point at the other guy, and keep playing the same. The bass player had learnt to keep his mouth shut. It was a cover band, so at rehearsals I'd play bits of the original recordings from my phone, and they'd still insist it was too fast/slow for 'live' gigs.

I do agree with the earlier post that the tempo should reflect the 'vibe' of the crowd. Within reason.

Anyway, I've left that band now.... Now that I think about it, that's probably one of the reasons the previous drummer left. Interestingly, the guitarist and keyboard player are still working together. Good luck to them.

Back