how to come up with creative patterns,fills and grooves?

I like to work with a recorded version of the song...though most of the time I can work without the recording...depending on the complexity.

I play along and force myself to stop immediatly should I play something I dont like.

I then back up and re-play it ...repeating until I am happy...never completing a phrase I dont like.

I do this until I have a structure...and have weeded out my "bad" designs.

The key is to never complete a phrase you dont like....a skill in itself as it requires that you have cognition of the pattern before you express it...something invaluable in other ways as well... though harder than it seems.

This plays havock with my metronomic pulse...but I can develop that easily...especially with metronomes as powerful as they can be(different accents, time sigs, etc)...and I am more interested in writing/performing than I am in being a hired hit-drummer where the illusion of timing is what is usually being purchased..leaving us listening to a vast amount of boring unintigrated drumming.

From there on out it is dependant on your associate abilities to find what you think is interesting.

I dont think its an IQ thing...directly...I think the exercise tends to up your IQ(at least, an angle of your IQ) which eventually reflects in your designs....and prevents muscle memory from forming around ideas you dont want.

Great question...learning to learn is the most precious gift we can give ourselves.

Back