FOR TEENS: VIDEO GAMES vs. DRUMS

Why not some of both. Gaming will help your hand-eye coordination which will transfer to the drums. Most games have music which will reinforce your ear and timing. I see it as a win win. Besides I get tired of Pong after a while. Back and forth, back and forth....

Last edited:
drumming hands down. dont get me wrong, i love video games. besides drumming and school(in that order), video games take up alot of my day, but there is nothing like the sweet heaven on earth solitude that drumming gives me

I've been a gamer a LOT longer than I've been a drummer. Lately however, I've been gaming a lot less and drumming more. Is one a direct cause of the other? I can't say. There aren't many games that interest me right now though, so drumming is more fun to me.

I don't see why it should be a matter of one versus the other either. A balance can always be achieved. It's not as if one is bad for you (granted both can be bad if not done in moderation).

Some video games are pretty fun.

But just NOTHING beats drumming. When i drum to songs, alone, or just drum on the school desk with a pencil (much to my class's dismay once i REALLY get into it), there's just no other feeling that matches that. It's impossible to describe, it just gives a purpose to life.

A video game wouldn't/couldn't do that.

Drumming kills gaming. I played video games for hours each day then started drumming... Very few video games are played now.

video games used to be a big part of my life...had a subscription to a magazine, often visited an xbox forum...then once the 360 came on the scene i didnt like it cause i knew i couldnt afford it, then i found out developers were going to stop supporting the xbox and lost a lot of intrest. but sometimes now i play games like age of mythology LAN with my girlfriend and brother. plus...my brother just bought a 360 :p ill have to test it out ofcourse

I've been playing games since the late eighties, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nowadays I have very litte time for gaming, but tiny doses of 90's DOS games does the trick for me. Master of Orion 2 and SimCity 2000 have been my go-to games recently...

I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.

Currently not gaming at all, but when I did I was an avid MOH:AA player (Clanbase UK) and was actually pretty good. Not into console gaming so much, but I'm into my Half Life and Half Life 2 when I get my hands on the right system. With all that said, the old DOS games are hard to beat - Elite (Ok, BBC Micro there, but also a DOS game and I have it on a micro) and Prince of Persia being two personal favourites.

I've been playing games since the late eighties, sometimes more, sometimes less. Nowadays I have very litte time for gaming, but tiny doses of 90's DOS games does the trick for me. Master of Orion 2 and SimCity 2000 have been my go-to games recently...

I don't know whether the question applies to me, however. I started drumming in my late teens, at the age of nineteen, to be exact.

Uhm, i hope this isn't offensive, but how old are you?

A few months after I started taking my drumming seriously, I sold almost every piece of gaming hardware and software I owned to pay for gear... and I was quite the gamer back in the day.

Never regretted it. But I do still keep a gameboy and a copy of tetris for long journeys though :)

Last edited:

I feel like i've missed out! the first VGs i started playing on were PS1 games like Colin McRae rally and GT2 and Tomb raider III (although that was on the PC) We do have some old TOSS games lying about on Floppy somewhere but they don't work on any of our computers sadly.

I think i'm a hardcore gamer (man, that sounds sad). But I rarely spend money on games, most of it goes towards drumming. And I practice as much as I can on my drums, almost non-stop on weekends, when i'm not out "raving" or on my xbox.
I think I have found a balance between the two.

DRUMMMMMING!!!
I have no games consoles in my house but i do like a game once in w hile at my mates but apart from that nothin !

I feel like i've missed out! the first VGs i started playing on were PS1 games like Colin McRae rally and GT2 and Tomb raider III (although that was on the PC) We do have some old TOSS games lying about on Floppy somewhere but they don't work on any of our computers sadly.

Some of the old games are fantastic. The original Prince of Persia is just stunningly good (and INCREDIBLY hard). Old-school gamers will tell you that the new generation of games are far too easy - and they're right. Old games had to be difficult to ensure replay value. No online play and sometimes not enough memory for different difficulty settings. They made those games HARD.

Back