Vinnie Colaiuta

If a drummer has to ice their hands, it means the vibration from the stick is injuring them, so they're not using moeller properly or at all. I guess Vinnie doesn't apply this technique. If you use moeller you can play very hard and loud without any impact on your hands.
Actually, I think it's called the free-stroke, and moeller is for triplets and fast accents? Anyway, let's steer clear from technique stuff and get back to vinnie :p

I downloaded this awesome clinic from Smuget in Oslo. It's from 1989. It's awesome! If anyone want it, I could perhaps upload it?

Well I'm coming back to language and playing "properly" here: Unlike paintings, music is mostly made by several people simultaneously. So there is no absolute freedom, compromises and decisions have to be made. If you are hired by a blues guitarist, you have to play the "proper" language, which does put you in a box of course. But then I believe you have to put yourself in a certain "box" anyway if you play. You can't just always play everything that comes to mind no matter what. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing, does it?
By the way I don't mean technically correct or always on the spot in a robotic way by being "proper". I just mean fitting the circumstances.
This is the reason why I like to be in different bands or projects at the same time, i.e. a jazz band, and a rock band. So in the rock band I'd try to make my parts fit the riffs, the melodies, the songs, and make it rock. I don't have to be sad for not getting to shred or whatever, because I know I'll be in the jazz band some days later where I can display a whole other side of me. That's a cool thing. And that's a thing Vinnie does very, very classy :).

I agree with some and disagree with some SM.
Thaard that's incorrect. Moeller is a single-multiple stroke technique. Whether it's a single stroke, double, triple, or even 4 notes in a row per hand. And April is right, if you use Moeller, there should never be any impact on your hands. He probably has tendonitis which is common in drummers. Hence icing to keep the swelling down. Unfortunately even Moeller can't prevent tendonitis. Drummers that practice constantly always seem to develop this. Like Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others.

I agree with some and disagree with some SM.
Thaard that's incorrect. Moeller is a single-multiple stroke technique. Whether it's a single stroke, double, triple, or even 4 notes in a row per hand. And April is right, if you use Moeller, there should never be any impact on your hands. He probably has tendonitis which is common in drummers. Hence icing to keep the swelling down. Unfortunately even Moeller can't prevent tendonitis. Drummers that practice constantly always seem to develop this. Like Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta and many others.
I´ve found that warming up and stretching out prevents/helps this, but enough of that. Saw some videos of Vinnie with the 5 piece band. Was pretty cool.

it's hard with guys on tour. they get moody. I met weckl once and he was really nice. I met him a second time and he was a prick. Vinnie i met 3 times and every time he was really cool. I just heard him playing big band with paul anka. Pretty nice. The man can do it all.

Vinnie in session with Richard Page

http://vimeo.com/12926810

Cheers
Alain

Cool vid thanks for posting. It's really interesting to see top players like these at work in the studio!

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

gravy1.jpg

Hey Fellows!

Question: There once was a clip (on Youtube) from the MD-Festival 2000, where Vinnie was explaining the "I'm tweaked"-Groove...

Does anyone now if this clip is still around??
Thaanks!
M.

Heard an interesting/exciting rumor about that... :)

Back