Sonor- Essential Force S drive kit. Seriously?

Terrence R

Silver Member
So I've been checking out info on the Sonor Essential Force S drive 6 peice kit with hardware. Would u guys consider this a pro level kit? I'm only questioning it due to the nice low price, $1325 at Long & McQuade. I'm surprised that a fellow could walk out with 6 shells, and hardware, in a remarkable green fade color finish. Not to mention the each shell is 6 ply birch.

I know that it's all about personal preferences as far as sound goes. Same for those who like maple, birch, mahogany, etc. But, do any of u guys run these kits? What do u guys think of them?

Which one do u think may win over more votes? The Sonors? Or Pearl masters in birch?

Ohh, and I did read that the heads don't share the true tone of the shells and they are recommended to be changed.

So I've been checking out info on the Sonor Essential Force S drive 6 peice kit with hardware. Would u guys consider this a pro level kit? I'm only questioning it due to the nice low price, $1325 at Long & McQuade. I'm surprised that a fellow could walk out with 6 shells, and hardware, in a remarkable green fade color finish. Not to mention the each shell is 6 ply birch.

I know that it's all about personal preferences as far as sound goes. Same for those who like maple, birch, mahogany, etc. But, do any of u guys run these kits? What do u guys think of them?

Which one do u think may win over more votes? The Sonors? Or Pearl masters in birch?

Ohh, and I did read that the heads don't share the true tone of the shells and they are recommended to be changed.
\

I don't know about pro (compared to the SQ2 or the Ascent) but Sonor has always been good at making really good semi pro kits. The reason the price point is cheaper in thier semi pro lines is that Sonor often uses two "good wood" outer plys (N. American) and cheaper Asian woods between.

Sonor has been big on quality control. I sold my set a year ago so I can't say much about them now. When I was selling kits I learned that alot of the equipment in Asian factories (where their economy price kits are made) used to make Sonor stuff were set up by Sonor engineers and then the Asian workers were trained by the Sonor engineers how to maintain the German standards.

The Chinese made Sonor stuff is pretty decent. Decent enough for example that some pros gig with it. I have an S Classix kit (German made) and I can tell the difference between the essential force. The first Chinese made kit with actual Remo USA heads is the Ascent. That being said there is a price difference.

Even with my German made kits (SQ2, Prolite and S Classix) I still changed heads to what I liked. I think the only drums I can deal with stock heads from Sonor are the German made snares since they are tuned from the factory and sound great.

\

I don't know about pro (compared to the SQ2 or the Ascent) but Sonor has always been good at making really good semi pro kits. The reason the price point is cheaper in thier semi pro lines is that Sonor often uses two "good wood" outer plys (N. American) and cheaper Asian woods between.

Sonor has been big on quality control. I sold my set a year ago so I can't say much about them now. When I was selling kits I learned that alot of the equipment in Asian factories (where their economy price kits are made) used to make Sonor stuff were set up by Sonor engineers and then the Asian workers were trained by the Sonor engineers how to maintain the German standards.

An explanation on Sonor's Chinese QC can be found in the July 2000 edition of Drum Business: http://tinyurl.com/apvfhmr

Would u guys consider this a pro level kit?The Sonors?
No. Intermediate level. But very good drums. Would compete with the Pearl Session Studio Classic.
Or Pearl masters in birch?
Pearl Masters Premium and Masters MCX, Pro level kits.​

I think the Ascent Series would be the first pro level Chinese kit followed by Select force. I think the Ascent series are very road worthy.

FWIW I have 600 series hardware and while it is solid its also heavy! So the 400 series is not bad and does the job well without breaking your back.

No. Intermediate level. But very good drums. Would compete with the Pearl Session Studio Classic.
Pearl Masters Premium and Masters MCX, Pro level kits.​

A lot of pro guys are actually using the new Pearl Session Studio Classic line now... in actuality, a lot of pros used to use the original Pearl Session series drums. They were a very beloved line of drums, and were missed when they were discontinued. They have pro sound and pro features and are pretty much considered intermediate due to their place in the lineup. I still use my Original Pearl Prestige Session Select kit which at the time was only one series under the top of the line Pearl kits. I have put my kit up against many a Pro level kit, and they always hold their own. I actually liked them just as much as my old DW kit, and just as much as my Tama Birch Bubinga kit in the studio. My level of drums was discontinued and replaced with the eventual Pearl Masters MCX kits.

You are correct in stating they are very good drums.

They have pro sound and pro features and are pretty much considered intermediate due to their place in the lineup.

I'm not trying to argue a point or anything, but I find this statement rather vague - as if there is such a thing when it comes to recording drums. Didn't K.D.Lang use a toy drumset on one of her hit albums? And session great Denny Fongheiser even used a toy kit for some work as well. Hell, any kit with good heads will render an acceptable sound and the listening public would never know what "line" of drums they were meant to be for. Everytime I hear the phrase "pro sound" I think I'm hearing something generic that's meant to be forgotten as soon as I hear it - because it's "professional". Like my dentist is a professional. Clean my teeth so I can go on with my life already ;)

I guess a little bit of character is not a bad thing.

I wish that the Select Force S Drive kits came in green fade. The Essential kits do. I wonder if sonor can customize a kit for me. I would love to have the 6 piece Essential Force S drive kit in green fade, but I would want the Select force maple snare shell. I also would want the 400 series hardware that comes with the select kits. I think the Essential 200 series stuff would be a little too light. Plus, I think the 200 series hi hat stand doesn't have a swivel base.

I think the Ascent Series would be the first pro level Chinese kit followed by Select force. I think the Ascent series are very road worthy.

Agree! The Ascents are a fine kit and they are my go-to set for local touring. I do have SQ2s as well, but they work better for me in the studio.

F

I still use my Original Pearl Prestige Session Select kit which at the time was only one series under the top of the line Pearl kits.
And as far as I know, the Session Select had 10 lugs per side (on the 22" bass drum"). And to me, that's a Pro Line feature.​

And as far as I know, the Session Select had 10 lugs per side (on the 22" bass drum"). And to me, that's a Pro Line feature.​

Agreed... I believe they are Pro Level indeed. The new Session Studio Classic kits also have 10 lugs per side, as well as virgin kicks. I am more inclined to consider those its pro level as well, just maybe not the higher end of the pro side.

I know Sonor endorsers who will gig and do small tours with Select force kits. I also know plenty that use the Ascent series.

My advice would be either the Ascent or Select force. If the music you are playing is a lot of metal or maybe punk then the fast attack of birch of the essential force might be what you want. If you save money on drums you can invest in some nicer pro cymbals.

I know Sonor endorsers who will gig and do small tours with Select force kits. I also know plenty that use the Ascent series.

My advice would be either the Ascent or Select force. If the music you are playing is a lot of metal or maybe punk then the fast attack of birch of the essential force might be what you want. If you save money on drums you can invest in some nicer pro cymbals.

I do prefer the quick attack of the birch shells as I do play a lot of hard rock. So the cheaper priced essential force s drive would be more beneficial. But I love warm maple snares, so a select force snare might be an alternative. Also, I'm not big on the 200 series hardware that comes with the essentials. I would prefer the 400 series that comes with the select force, which includes a swivel base hi hat stand. And I'm definitely after the virgin bass drum, but in birch.

I do have a nice quantity of good pro cymbals right now, so that's certainly not an issue. But I am a cymbal junky, so saving cash on a kit would certainly open the door to grab up on a couple more goodies LOL.

..............Interesting article

Yes, interesting article.

However, it is 13 years old. I wonder if Sonor and the Chinese are still maintain the quality and control...no matter tho. I am getting ready to put some $ on a Sonor Force 3007 set.

I am seeing more and more Sonor products show up in drum stores in my area (Atlanta, GA), and talking to the store reps, they all give Sonor high grades.

Back