Vinnie Colaiuta

Playing at the Squashed Grape in Ventura, CA. Video posted date was 2016.
Always fascinating to watch one of the all time greats play in a small, local venue-- and hearing it from a plain, unprocessed recording on a "regular" drum set.

• Most of the non-drummer audience probably has little to no clue how lucky they are to witness greatness, so close up. It could almost seem mundane...
https://youtu.be/mw9vWeGWmnw

These clips are just amazing. Vinnie is the greatest of all time in my book. He just freaks me the f%$& out!! And he never loses the gusto and the energy and joy of playing, he's insanely good, he's seemingly getting better and better, and he's not slowing down....should we be concerned lol. Its scary

Did Vinnie play because of the song or was the song played because Vinnie was there? That is the real question.

Theres at least 2 vids, so I think he sat in for a set. He solos in one of them, and plays a cowbell for a bit which I got a kick out of and was amazed by. Lady walks by and throws some change in a tip jar at one point....lol

just like the proverbial pearls before the swine-- amazing how the very best can still be seen live by the general population, and not really appreciated.

Vinnie is one of my favourite drummers, I don't think it can be overstated how how versatile he is and how good his chops are. I had always wanted to see him live and this year I saw the best concert I've ever seen in my life thus far, Jeff Beck with Vinnie on drums, it was like every Christmas and birthday at once! Has anybody else caught Jeff and Vinnie on this tour?

I've seen him live many times since the first time with Zappa.

I caught them one month ago in Vienne, France. That was the first time I saw Jeff Beck !

Great concert !

Vinnie is one of my favourite drummers, I don't think it can be overstated how how versatile he is and how good his chops are. I had always wanted to see him live and this year I saw the best concert I've ever seen in my life thus far, Jeff Beck with Vinnie on drums, it was like every Christmas and birthday at once! Has anybody else caught Jeff and Vinnie on this tour?

OMG you guys have seen Vinnie with Zappa and with Beck!!! Goodness gracious I think Im floating above me keyboard right now, lol. Im a Vinnie freak, cant help it, just found this video and hadnt seen some of the clips in the compilation....I watched it last night on good sound system and was bouncing around the room.....REAL. NORMAL. DOUBLES. AT. THE. END.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqNbKNGPXU

No I have not, I will promptly check the schedule....didnt know they were touring, this would be my dream show to see!!!! Share anything you want about the show, I am so jelly roll right now Im about to jam all over your toasts. Sorry Vinnie is like what drumming is all about to me....he is my deity.

Ah omg hes in my area this weekend and my buddies are in town and finally convinced me to go to a Phish concert! I fought it for years but they all love and live for phish so I said yes this time and look what happens. Phish is ruining my life, noooooooo lol wtf I wish i hadnt looked at this thread ignorance would have been bliss

Ok, Im better, had to vent a lil. Im really missing Jeff Beck and Vinnie to see Phish. I can deal.

This Sunday Jeff Beck plays in NJ with Paul Rodgers and Ann Wilson um whoah is it def Vinnie on drums? Gracious thanks for this heads up. Im trying to get to this Sunday show. Im 100% if its Vinnie can anyone confirm?

No I have not, I will promptly check the schedule....didnt know they were touring, this would be my dream show to see!!!! Share anything you want about the show, I am so jelly roll right now Im about to jam all over your toasts. Sorry Vinnie is like what drumming is all about to me....he is my deity.

Well, it's difficult to know what to say without descending into being a babbling fanboy. Suffice to say, whatever expectations I had about Beck and Vinnie, they were met. Exceeded, even. Beck did things with his guitar that made me weep, and I;m not exaggerating. I have never done that at a concert before. It sounds cheesy, but the music really seems to touch something deep within you. And Vinnie was insane. I don't know the technical drum terminology for what he was doing, all I know is it was f*cking awesome. Fast, fluid, and fitted every song. One particular tune, Nadia, gave me goosebumps. It's an Indian flavoured piece written by Nitan Sawhney, where Beck makes his guitar sound like a sitar, just beautiful.

You are fully preaching to the choir my brother! I get it. Nadia was amazing on the Ronnie Scott dvd, I can only imagine live! The dvd made me declare.....this guy, this guy plays guitar like I want to hear it. And as Jeff Beck describes in his dvd interview, Vinnie rips and rolls and always hits the bulls eye on the target (referring to being on time, nailing transitions etc), just all that action and its dead on precise, to me he's on a whole other level than even the best guys out there. He does the impossible with style and grace and an elegance that makes it mind blowing. Vinnie has brought so much joy to my life I should send him a muffin basket or something. Im so glad you went and enjoy it the way I do.....awesome, thanks for sharing. If anything pops into your mind that you want to share, please do. I wont be at this show this weekend as Ill be at Phish fml.

Back