Cowbell On Bass Drum Hoop

• Thread starter adamteasdale1407
  • Start date
A

adamteasdale1407

Hey all,
I've heard that mounting a cowbell on a bass drum hoop is a big no no. I've heard this from several drummers but have never understood or been explained what the problem would be.
Would anyone care to explain?
Much appreciated.

Not sure why other than marring the bass drum hoop. I used to play with a cowbell mounted on the bass drum hoop in my earlier years without any issues and I've seen plenty of other drummers who do it today.

I've been doing it for the last 4.5 years, on the same bass drum hoop, using my long bell too. Yea it scuffs up your hoop, but so does your pedal. Like anything, with a little common sense, there should be no issues. As long as you don't sit on your cowbell while it's mounted on your hoop, you should be good lol.

Mounting alot more than cowbells on bass drum hoops has been going on for many years, so you should have nothing to worry about. This has led to others devising a better way to mount to the hoop, and I actually use a Latin Percussion hoop clamp that's actually quite large, and it has an L-arm inserted into it and is completely adjustable. Because of the size, it never mars my hoops and it's strong enough to handle any size bell. I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance.

The original type of hoop mount is probably only good for bells smaller than 6" - I think anything larger is just too big for that tiny mounting footprint - and it's a guarantee that it will mar the finish of the hoop over time.

Never heard that one before. If that's where you want to mount it, have at it. There's plenty you can do to stop the hoop getting scuffed.

Hitting a hoop-mounted cowbell transmits a thump to the bass drum, and the mic picks it up.

If you're not mic'd, it's not a problem. If you are mic'd, and it's not the kind of mix where the kick is prominent and every little bump is heard or felt, then it's also not a problem. But I would certainly avoid doing it in the studio.

Bermuda

Hmmm, didn't know that. Well, I use it on all three of my Blaemire bass drums, which have Ludwig hoops.

Yup, won't work on flat edged hoops.

You can wrestle it on, but its painful, will mar the wood.

Also the L-Arm is only 5.5" one way and 6" the other... not very much height if you sit high and/or are using it on a smaller bass drum.

It does have superior holding power compared to any hoop mount I've ever used and it wins 'Best in show' in the looks dept.

Last edited:
I use a Pearl CA100 on my kit at home. I listened to a recording I made using this mount, and could not hear any real "cowbell sounds" on my kick mic. that said, I am heavy footed and the gain is always kinda low on my Kick mic.

1264_ca-100.jpg

On my stage setup I mount my cowbell on my spur tom mount.

I use a Pearl CA100 on my kit at home. I listened to a recording I made using this mount, and could not hear any real "cowbell sounds" on my kick mic. that said, I am heavy footed and the gain is always kinda low on my Kick mic.

1264_ca-100.jpg

On my stage setup I mount my cowbell on my spur tom mount.
That's the one I use. It's not that hard- the rubber padding on the bass drum hoop clamp prevents scuffing, you shouldn't have a problem.

I mount the cowbell to the tom post on the bass drum. If you have a virgin BD this obviously wouldn't work.

Back