FINALLY got my new Ludwig Centennial Zep Kit!!!

SSOSS

Hey guys/gals,

I just wanted to brag that I finally got my new kit. I've been searching all around the internet for months and since they were discontinued I thought I'd never get 'em.

My local dealer said there is ONE kit left available from Ludwig, and he ordered it for his store, but it was BLACK, and I had my heart set on a clear/natural finish.

Well, the kit arrived and as it turns out, it's a Natural Maple Zep Set!!!!

YAY. I drove to the store and bought them immediately. This may very well be one of the last Cent Zep Sets ever sold in the US straight from Ludwig.

Just set them up last night in my bedroom because my basement's being finished so I haven't had much time to try them out. They look great! I can't wait to get them all mic'ed up and record with them.

The store had "upgraded" the bass batter side to an EMAD3 (I think?) and... I'm getting used ito it. I know this is a metal thing but it didn't sound that good to me, I'll have to work with it for a while. I'm no expert anyway. I have a feeling the beater side was damaged and they threw the Evans head on there cause they had it around. Anyway the rest of the drums came with standard Ludwig reso heads and nice coated Vintage Emporer on the batter side.

Anyway I had a chance to pick up the Supraphonic at the same time for only $300 but I was trying to soften the blow for my wife and I'm now regretting it. Total before tax for the Cent shell pack was $999!!

I notice my current Pearl snare that came with my Vision Birch set sounds like a tin can. Any way to get it to stop going "BAONK" when I strike it? I'm honestly a noob and can barely tune my set on a good day. Hearing people say there's no "right" way to tune a kit leaves me very confused. It feels like the more I mess with it, the worse it sounds and the less I can differentiate between one note and another.

Comparing this set to my Vision Birch, I could immediatly see the differences;

The seams in the finish were much nicer, almost invisible in the Ludwig set.
The tom hanger is much better than the ISS on the Pearl set.
The Ludwig is all American Maple, arguably better than the birch Vision series.
The rings are the thicker variety.

Anyway, LONG LIVE JOHN BONHAM!

Loving my new Ludwig Centennial Zep Kit in Natural Maple!!!!

Anyone want to buy a one year old 7 piece Pearl Vision Kit in Natural Birch?
LOL

: )

Last edited:
Hey there. Congrats, but as many here will admit we don't believe anything anyone says without first receiving some kind of visual stimulation (proof). So throw some pics up when you have a chance.

Congrats pics would be nice through..;)

Bonzolead

Yes, Yes, absolutely. Probably some crappy ones at the foot of my bed for now and some nice ones in a few weeks when the studio is finished in the basement. And by studio I mean 12x12 room with an audio-interface, PA, two big monitors, and a laptop.

Hey there. Congrats, but as many here will admit we don't believe anything anyone says without first receiving some kind of visual stimulation (proof). So throw some pics up when you have a chance.

Pics or it didn't happen? LOL

OK, now if I can convince my wife to pose semi-nude in front of them, would that help?

So... like... I read all of that, scrolling slowly, expecting there to be pics at the end... and there weren't any :(

Sine you're a resident drum geek here, any comments on my Pearl Vision quality comparison or my snare question?

Snare wires & heads would be a good start on improving your sound, the Visions are a good starter kit but you did wise getting the Centennials I almost got a Centennial Zep kit myself but wanted the Acrylics more..lol..you MUST find a used or new LM402 for that kit..you won't. be sorry......congrats again....\m/(*_*)\m/

Bonzolead

Congrats on the kit.If you're a little cash strapped on buying the LM 402,pick up a used acrolite.They can be tuned pretty close to that "Bonham "sound and can be had on the cheap on Ebay and craigslist for around 50-80 US.That drum will get you a lot closer to "that" sound than the Pearl snare ever will.

Emperor batter,and Ambassador reso.Reso tuned high,snares just touching.Batter high,but not cranked way up,and no muffeling.

I have tuned my acro pretty close to that dirty resonant sound that Bonham got.Nice score.

Steve B

pic pls. asap

For tuning that kick- I recently bought a gretsch 26" kick and it came with a gmad on it with the foam dampening ring. I am assuming your emad3 or whatever has one too. Remove the foam ring and tune the drum to the poitn where it sings and then add it back. I found it very hard to get it right with the ring in.

Batter is almost a full turn over JAW and reso is Jaw.

PIcs

Heres mine in my "studio" (drum dungeon)- Snare is from another kit

Attachments

• 3b01a8ff.jpg
    3b01a8ff.jpg
    681.5 KB · Views: 10,171
K, so here's a few crappy pics I took with my tablet.

More better pics another day, it's dark out and this room isn't very good for pics.

Oh, and in case anyone missed the first post, these are set up at the foot of my bed temporarily because my basement studio is currently being built, and because my wife is a saint.

Played these tonight for the first time and they sound monsterous!

Attachments

• IMG_20120329_201121-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201121-01.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 8,121
  • IMG_20120329_201304-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201304-01.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 8,254
  • IMG_20120329_201406-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201406-01.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 8,455
  • IMG_20120329_201446-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201446-01.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 7,858
  • IMG_20120329_201501-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201501-01.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 8,734
  • IMG_20120329_201514-01.jpg
    IMG_20120329_201514-01.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 8,964
Hey I noticed there isn't a lot of traffic in the "Drummers" thread.

I made a post about my drummer friend and his band but no one replied :(

Is it OK to link to it from here just to talk about it?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89188

Please don't take this as band spam, I'm very interested in discussing their/his style for better or worse, because I've only been playing drums for about two years so I'm trying to learn.

Also just like to BS about music!

Feedback?

Plus no one commented about my kit pictures yet...

Nice kit! I like the finish too. Bet it sounds huge!

Sweet kit man... But I don't see any 1/2 dressed women in those pics as promised yesterday.

K, so here's a few crappy pics I took with my tablet.

More better pics another day, it's dark out and this room isn't very good for pics.

Oh, and in case anyone missed the first post, these are set up at the foot of my bed temporarily because my basement studio is currently being built, and because my wife is a saint.

Played these tonight for the first time and they sound monsterous!

Those look sweet indeed the grain in the wood looks better than I figured they would..;)

as posted coated emp's. over clear ambass that's what Bonham used..that's cool you got the 2002 Paiste's also.

now go jam & enjoy..\m/

Bonzolead

Back