Anyone Else use 5B's?

MythicalMonkey

I broke my Vic firth's and I'm wondering if anyone has a certain pair of 5B's they use. For me, the thicker the better.

I use to use 5B sticks for "rock" years ago, now I don't use anything larger or heavier than a 5A.

Dennis

I like the ProMark Benny Greb model. It's a 5B with a longer taper. Better rebound but plenty of weight for heavy hitting.

I use regular old ProMark 5Bs with nylon tips. Great stick.

I think Vater 5bs are like Promark 2bs. If you want a thick stick, why not get a 2b or one of the various "in between" models.

Hi there, I use Vic Firth X5B sticks, wood tip. They're just a bit longer than regular 5B's.

For some time I used Zildjian Travis Barker Signature Sticks. They were like X5Bs but with a different shoulder and tip and heavier. I liked them a lot and they lasted for ages, but they're painted white, which as a result, ends up making all your cymbals white too, which really sucks.

Anyway, 5B's are thicker than 7A's and 5A's, but they're not really what I call "thick". if you like thick sticks you should check out some 2B's. ;)

Cheers.

I've been using 5B just about forever.

Started with Pro-Mark, but the tips splintered too easily and the nylon tip sticks were too narrow at the end, so they broke easily.

Then moved to Regal Tip 5B Wide, which are nylon tipped but with a beefier taper. They lasted longer, but I never quite liked them. And I still preferred wood tips.

Moved to Vic Firth 5B Vic Grip Wood Tip, and I loved them. The rubber grip meant I could play more relaxed, and I really liked the weight and feel. However, I'd forgotten how easily Vic Firth sticks tended to split along the shaft, and after going through piles of sticks I got tired of them and moved on.

I'm now using Vater 5B Wood Tip. So far so good; I really like these sticks. I miss the Vic Grip and I hope Vater will start offering something similar, but it's not a huge deal. I'm lucky in that my palms don't get sweaty when I play, and at the same time they're not too dry either, so my grip is still pretty relaxed; even in a live setting.

I'm a big fan of the Vater Sugar Maple 5B w/wood tips. They have the same 5B thickness, but without the hickory weight. I haven't weighed them or anything, but they may even be lighter than than hickory 5As. They feel that way to me. I love 'em, but I know maple's not everyone's cup of tea.

In general, I like the way the thicker shoulder and weight distribution of a 5B affects the rebound I get. I also get a better sense of "throw", too. I can't really describe it, I guess.

My Pro-Mark 747B's get the job done when I need to pound into my drums. I normally use just wood 5a's though. Great durability and balance

I used Promark 5A for a couple of decades. Two years ago I switched to Vic Firth 5B and never looked back. Great sticks, imo.

Vater Power 5B. It's a bit longer than the usual.

I use Zildjian 5B hickory with wood & nylon tips, thick but lighter.

Vic Firth Nova 5B hickory with wood tips, thick but heavier.

I never used to like 5B's but I got a pair a Vater's and now they feel pretty comfortable, more power out of them.

I love Vater 5Bs and the fusion ones as well. Am I the only one who thinks that the Vater 5Bs aren't particularly heavy? Not that it's a bad thing... I'd rather have a middle weight stick anyways so they're not too big for soft playing but not so small I can't even open up a thicker cymbal if I had to.

Back