Anyone a Runner? i have a question

beatsMcGee

Pioneer Member
so ive been running around 5 miles a day/ 6 days a week for a few months now and have dropped a lot of weight and have toned up nicely. my personality type is that i can be extremly dedicated to something almost to the point of obsession (as i am with drums).. so ive kinda been obsessing about running too. i dont like missing a day, but i have reciently developed "runners knee" or what i think is runners knee, and im worried ill permanently hurt myself. I am concerned that i might have to give up running for a while or maybe permanently as a form of cardio in fear that i might ruin my knees long term. i took up running cause I heard it really was good for overall body toning, especially in the legs and ab area.

so my question is that if i was to switch to the elliptical for the same amount of time per day/6 days a week would i loose definition in my abs that ive gained through running, and would I potenitall gain weight back ? i ask this cause ive heard that the elliptical doesnt work your body as much as running. im just worried ill lose definition and gain weight... do you think i will?

thanks

First question is, are you wearing good shoes. I assume you are jogging on the street and that pounding will tear up knees and feet and ankles. If you can try a local school track which is probably made with some asphalt/cork composite. Try running in the grass beside the street if possible. Definitely try some low impact surface or run every other day. Also calories burned are calories burned. You may be exercising a few different muscles but the result should be the same. My boss has a low impact treadmill so you may want to find one of those.

Last edited:
GD is right about the calories, though I'm not sure what will happen if you use different muscles. Have you already contacted a doctor about your knee?

oh so sorry i forgot to mention these few things that may help:

i run on a treadmill never on concrete roads/sidewalks.

im also flat footed and i know this could cause me to overpronate (which i prolly do) and that is a big issue when running, but i purchased expensive asics for this, but Ive clocked almost 400 miles on them so i might be getting close to needing new ones.

ive only in the past few days been feeling pain in my knee, up until then its been awesome and pain free even when running all those miles.. so it might just be worn out shoes even though they look alright to me.

See a doctor. Preferably a sports medicine doctor.

Additionally, try to go to a shoe store where the personnel can evaluate your gait and recommend shoes. I am an overpronator and have done well with both the Saucony Stabil and the Asics Kayano running shoes.

Running can be hard on the body but it does feel great. Have you ever tried Spinning, as in cycling? That is a brutal awesome workout. I usually try and alternate, run, ride, run, lift.

J

I am 57,started my 32nd year of running last October 16th. I have run about 60,000 miles,all on the street,including a number of years running sensationally high weekly mileage.
Everyone is different,but I recommend the following:
1. New shoes every 3 months,especially if they have gotten wet.
2. 2 days off a week. (Run 3 off 1,run 2 off 1 etc.)
3. STRETCHING EVERYDAY. Not only hamstring and achilles,but back ,neck,quads etc. I do six stretches daily,1 minute each by the stopwatch. I can't overemphasize this.
4.Ab exercises (5 minutes daily). They Keep you from having back and posture issues.
5. Anaerobic workouts once a week. Run 1 minute at 70-90 % max effort,rest repeat 10 times. This removes body fat like nothing you have ever experienced,if you are not doing it.
It will also reduce your times drastically,especially if you are young.

I am assuming you are in good health,and younger than 40.
Good Luck-keep running.
PS If anyone suggests knee surgery-run. It doesn't work that well,and rest will do most anything surgery will. I have tried both incidentally,
tracer

i need to have my gait analyzed, i know I'm flat footed and probably over-pronate, but to what extent I don't know.

is there a way to actually "correct" flat footedness and create an arch that will in turn help to not over-pronate? i know you can just buy shoes but what else can be done?

i need to have my gait analyzed, i know I'm flat footed and probably over-pronate, but to what extent I don't know.

is there a way to actually "correct" flat footedness and create an arch that will in turn help to not over-pronate? i know you can just buy shoes but what else can be done?

A doctor can prescribe orthotics that you place in your shoes.

Guys i'm really pissed off about my fitness right now too, i've been trying to do sit ups but it's impossible because i think i've streched a muscle very far down my abs just above the groin area. It's really getting on my nerves because i want to do some more to get a decent shape stomach area but i can't. I do a bit of running as well maybe i should do some more.

Back