Another singing vid...

If I honestly didn't think it was good I wouldn't have said anything. I have heard quite a few bands over the years so I don't think my opinion is entirely meaningless. It was not just a " warm fuzzy"

You know, Shemp, I posted this in the off topic section for a reason. Why is it you feel you have to stir things up all the time? I was willing to give you a chance after the whole GURU/KIS debacle but I see you've come back around to your own troll self. Next time you see a post from me, please do me a favor and ignore it. I'll do the same for you. I'm allowed to post whatever I like within reason. If the moderators don't care, why do you? If you don't like what I have to post and don't have anything constructive to say, then say nothing. I don't mind criticism but mean spirited blather is uncalled for. I've been posting on this forum for 3 years. I'm a drummer trying something new and wanted some feedback from people I trust to be supportive and kindly critical when needed. Nothing more, nothing less.

My initial response was mere guidance. No stirring intended. Please do post whatever you want, but also be prepared to hear from folks that question the intent of a singing video on a drumming forum. It certainly is a reasonable question. And I'm not interested in your second chance or your validation of my opinion.

If you want advice and input on your singing rather than friendly validation and a shot of feel good and attention, go to a vocal coach or singing forum....where you can directly post a singing video and get meaningful feedback.

Shemp... this singing thread has its place on this forum, as is Arky's thread about his guitar playing and it's in the correct section of the forum....

...but, the real reason is that we've been giving Mary advice and encouragement since she started drumming about 2 years ago (?) , we've been watching every step and progress on a regular basis, seen her forming her first ever band and playing her first ever gig, so she is our Mary, and her determination and dedication is an example for many of us.

Just very recently, Mary started to play the drums and sing at the same time... and WE told her that she should practice singing on her own (without the drums) to get comfortable, hence this thread to show how much she progressed. Most of us wants her to upload these threads, we'll be worried if she didn't... :)

The whole goal is to sing and play the drums a la Don Henley or Phil Collins...

So this explaining that... I hope you understand the point of this thread, it's in the right forum :):):)

I'm not qualified to judge anyone on their singing....

It seems that getting singing validation from drummers is analogous to getting drumming validation from singers..while there might be some nice comments, I don't think one is going to get the real constructive criticism one needs...or any feedback that might promote growth

I would put this on a singing forum...or if you have a vocal coach show it to them where you can get some real useful feedback. For instance a vocal coach may tell you that you are a natural singer and that could drive you even harder...or they might tell you where you need improvement and give you some exercises.

This here is just a feel good thing.

The fact is that we drummers are also musicians and if we are in bands then we have the knowledge and the right to express ourselves on singing.The off topic forum is for non drumming related musical threads. whether it is a feel good thing is none of your business I will suggest as one of the Mods, that you check yourself. You have gotten the reputation here as an instigator and a troll and it will cease. If you see a post or thread that you don't like or like the idea of, move on. Continued disrespect to other forum members will not be tolerated. A word to the wise should be sufficient. thank you.

Using the Off Topic Lounge
The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion. Do not post links to “hilarious” videos of stupid people doing stupid things. If you, in your best judgment, create a post or thread that is deleted from this or any other forum topic, understand that we have the final say regarding what is appropriate and what is not. Unfortunately more posts are deleted from this topic than all others combined, and more members are banned based on their actions in this sub-forum. For these reasons, please do not abuse this area of the forum, and save us all the hassle involved in settling disputes that could easily have been avoided in the first place.

this entire post is BS.

My initial response was mere guidance. No stirring intended. Please do post whatever you want, but also be prepared to hear from folks that question the intent of a singing video on a drumming forum. It certainly is a reasonable question. And I'm not interested in your second chance or your validation of my opinion.

If you want advice and input on your singing rather than friendly validation and a shot of feel good and attention, go to a vocal coach or singing forum....where you can directly post a singing video and get meaningful feedback.

The fact is that we drummers are also musicians and if we are in bands then we have the knowledge and the right to express ourselves on singing.The off topic forum is for non drumming related musical threads. whether it is a feel good thing is none of your business I will suggest as one of the Mods, that you check yourself. You have gotten the reputation here as an instigator and a troll and it will cease. If you see a post or thread that you don't like or like the idea of, move on. Continued disrespect to other forum members will not be tolerated. A word to the wise should be sufficient. thank you.

I suggest, then, that you immediately revoke my membership....i reserve the right to say exactly as I please as long as I'm not attacking someone's race, creed, orientation....etc etc.

I have done no such thing....and have been insulted as being a troll, an instigator, etc....which does not bother me, but it does show the pretzel logic that is prevalent here.

What you are now doing is censoring me because some of my opinions are not liked. That's quite infantile and certainly not a tenet of free speech.

Please, with my blessing, I ask you to remove me from this forum and delete all materials and posts I have created herein. Thank you.

I suggest, then, that you immediately revoke my membership....i reserve the right to say exactly as I please as long as I'm not attacking someone's race, creed, orientation....etc etc.

I have done no such thing....and have been insulted as being a troll, an instigator, etc....which does not bother me, but it does show the pretzel logic that is prevalent here.

What you are now doing is censoring me because some of my opinions are not liked. That's quite infantile and certainly not a tenet of free speech.

Please, with my blessing, I ask you to remove me from this forum and delete all materials and posts I have created herein. Thank you.

Your request has been granted. Best wishes.

Just a quick thank you to those if you who voiced their support. I love that this forum has always been a great place for expressing different views and opinions, but most of all, respect. Thank you moderators for keeping it a great place to come to.

I really want to see where you can take this, Mary. Your confidence growing in the way it has done for the last couple of years with drumming and singing is pretty inspirational.

I do too. I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the singing. And when it comes together with the drumming, it's a blast. It has kind of renewed my vigor for drumming, too. I'll keep you informed...I'll definitely want the input!

You can really sing, Mary. Did you train as a vocalist or are does this come naturally to you?

No joke, I think you really have something.

You can really sing, Mary. Did you train as a vocalist or are does this come naturally to you?

No joke, I think you really have something.

Natural, I guess. I've never sang before (other than the shower and car -ha ha). I never thought I could. My boyfriend encouraged me to try. I do have a very limited range and a definite style that works for me. I probably should seek a few lessons to widen my range...just not in the budget right now. But thank you for your encouragement.

Definitely a natural talent. Onya Mary - almost everyone would like to be a natural singer!

Well well, old Shempy fell on his sword after yet another spell of motive questioning and groupthink accusations. Respect has been the missing piece.

On topic:
Mary, you have some singing talent! A great foundation already and your voice sounds really pleasing. Also very nice vibrato. To my ears there's some intonation issues but those are minor and happen at some spots, not all the time. And intonation issues is something that does happen with longer term singers, too. So in the end you can be quite confident with where you're at already.

- - - -

As for shemp - here's my opinion:
He wasn't trolling. He gave honest advice. Now instead of replying 'Yeah sure, that would be a good idea, I'll do that - why not having my singing be judged on a specific forum' (while I absolutely agree that we do have singers/singing drummers on this forum and ultimately, a musician's ears can tell whether things sound nice or not - singing included) Mary's (subjective) (over)reaction was to call shemp a troll etc - which he isn't IMHO.

Mary, why didn't _you_ just ignore shemp's initial reply and moved on? Would that have been so hard? I don't believe you. I guarantee you you'll grow as a person if you open yourself up to a more objective way of processing info that others are giving you. Shemp gave an opinion, his initial post wasn't trolling or stirring anything up. It was _up to you_ to either react or ignore. You chose to react - you have the right to do so, but a bit more objectiveness (or the attempt thereof) would have been a classy idea - just my humble opinion.

Now some opinions might not be to someone else's perfect liking, but hey, that's what they are - opinions. Not a bad idea to look this term up in a dictionary if you aren't sure what an opinion is. Granted, on a forum opinions have to be expressed in a certain/acceptable way but that's what shemp did.

On shemp in Andy's thread (everybody knows what I mean):
To me we had a similar

I'm sure many forum members agree that _after_ shemp's participation in Andy's thread, shemp built up somewhat of a nice reputation contributing info in many other threads (and a few created by him) across the forum. People started to interact more with him and respect him. And didn't you notice the way he was replying in a consistently controlled and mild way free of harsh expressions, accusations and other crap (that many other members couldn't stay away from)? What does that tell you? The man has good control of what he's saying and the way he's expressing it. But - sometimes his opinion might differ from others. Well wake up, that's natural!

You know what? I haven't seen _one single post_ by him that was aggressive, trolling, stirring things up or whatever. _None!_ If in doubt - go back, reread whatever you want, but _without overreacting_. Why don't you try to embrace different opinions? It's up to _you_ to start a fight or get over it, simply ignore those posts and that's it. 'shemp, you aren't that bad' or something to this effect was what I've been reading in a good number of posts. Frankly, I _never_ had the impression he was a troll. And even in Andy's thread I didn't see the need to ban him at any time. In fact I was wondering why people couldn't embrace a different opinion (expressed in a controlled/reasonable way) and move on. But they fired back, even using some language. That's not nice, folks!

In Andy's thread people (it seemed) were waiting to see shemp being banned. I was thinking all the time: Why? For what reasons? Do we ban people because their view isn't commonly accepted? Would you want to be a member of a forum that bans people for no reason? Can't people open up their eyes and move on, ignoring shemp's opinion? No, obviously they couldn't. It takes a reaction to create a conflict. And honestly, shemp had a marvellous way of consistently replying in a controlled fashion and using _zero_ hard language. Open your eyes - many can learn from him! And please don't misinterpret the absence of admin/moderator posts in the beginning of Andy's thread and the fact that shemp wasn't banned right away when people started saying he should be banned for weakness/lack of resolution on the admins' side. It was because there was no need to react, that's why! Really, I was scratching my head why people were overreacting so badly. I don't want to have people taking up what has been discussed in Andy's thread, but that's what people could have done - moving on, ignoring the opinion of one single member - who changed the world - Drummerworld - by a single/a few posts. But why? Because many members showed strong reactions. Now imagine they would have ignored that man - what would have happened? N o t h i n g.

Personally I regret learning he's been banned (nighttime in Europe when it happened - I just stood up) - not by me for sure. As an admin/mod I won't do anything to restore his account, respecting the opinion of some (probably even many) members of this forum. Personally something tells me to have a few PM's with Bernhard in this matter but I won't do this as 'the forum' seems to have a problem with shemp, not the other way round. I do hope though that the other admins/mods will think this over for themselves and maybe change their view. Let's imagine his account would be restored: Folks, show a tiny bit more respect towards opinions that you might _not_ fully share, grow a tiny bit more as a person and - voila, problem solved! Some stuff is purely mind related. Change your mind (or simply embrace different opinions) and the problem is gone instantly! Does that hurt? In a way - yes, but you'll grow as a person. Not that bad actually.

Just to sum it all up: Anybody else's words don't force anybody to anything. Yet shemp's words had a tremendous effect in Andy's thread, but did shemp force anybody to anything? Please go back to what actually happened. Once you understand that it's up to you to make whatever you're making out of it - if you blow some words up by huge magnitudes you might feel insulted or whatever. If you take those words/an opinion for what it is, you can easily get over it, with zero overreaction.

Last edited:
Posting a vid of oneself doing something out of one's comfort zone is a brave thing to do.

So a poster of such a vid - Mary in this case - should not need to deal with unfriendly commentary. For that, there's always YouTube. Does that mean everybody needs to fawn over Mary? Not at all. But the old adage about not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say fits. Of course a singing forum would be a tougher crowd, but - reading between lines - Mary's act of self-revelation was aimed at a slightly friendly audience.

One of the things that I like about this forum is that it is generally a well-behaved, polite place to interact. If Mary's singing sucked there would have been nothing to see but tumbleweeds rolling by.

One of the things that I don't get about this forum is the weird requesting to be banned when a person decides to cease to be a member. Really? If you don't like it here, or feel that you shouldn't be here, just _ _ _ _ off* and don't let the door smack you in the ass on the way out. It really is that simple.

* Could be sign off, walk off or any other expression you feel fits.

You have a pretty good voice, definitely.
Singing is something that requires practice, practice and more practice, but you are in a really good starting place since your singing voice is pleasing to the ear.
I also don't give out compliments on a friendly basis, mind you. You really have something there that you should keep working on

Now regarding the shemp issue..
I don't see a reason why he should've been banned
.. but it was his own call to request it.

He was not a troll by any means, and he didn't use offensive language, but he did seem to get a kick out of stirring things up with some well timed opinions.
And such opinions as this one here, where drummers should not give advice on singing, were of course just plain ignorant.

Oh, the drama

Back