Leaving a band to start a new one? Where to start?

I believe it is time to leave one of my bands and I know what I'm going to do.
I just feel that the band is no longer as fun as it used to be and it's becoming very repetitive.
I feel that I would like to carry-on with my musical ventures with different styles and maybe even different instruments, probably even more song writing too.

I will probably miss the band I will leave, but it's just not as fun anymore and nothing is really happening either. Sadly.

But I would like some tips and pointers, I'm thinking of starting another band on the alt. rock side but with hints of latin, jazz and prog. However, I've tried websites like JoinMyBand and stuff but they don't exactly work well, and the people aren't very reliable. I'm in alot of bands for my local council (Wind band, Jazz Band, Rock Band and an Orchestra) and I think I might ask a few of the people I play with, but then again... They are all in bands and I doubt they'd want to be in another.
What would you guys say? Need heads-up and pointers to get started on my new musical venture! :)

I'm sure there are like-minded players out there, and they shouldn't be too difficult to target.

I'd start by joining forums for the appropriate instrumentation you seek, and make a post in each stating your position. Obviously forums aren't really 'local' and hopefully you're in a large enough area where you'll get enough good responses to pick & choose your prospective bandmates.

As for asking people you already know, why not? So what if they may be involved in other bands, so are you, right? (You did say "one of my bands"...) Maybe some of them are looking for the same outlet you are.

Good luck,

Bermuda

Have to say that I've only played in one band that was playing almost exactly what I wanted. Tat band "pulled" tiny audiences who mostly sat there nonplussed wondering what we had to be on to play music like that :)

If your preferences aren't mainstream, eg alt. rock with hints of latin, jazz and prog, then finding like-minded musicians at your level is not always easy.

get out there on yer local scene, go see ohter bands play every chance you can, network, meet as many muscicians as possible in your area... let it be known you're looking to jam. soon it'll be "Oh yeh Chris, great drummer, let's ask him over to jam"

Back