2014 Music HOF Nominees

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Half of that potential Class of 2014 – Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Nirvana, Link Wray, the Replacements, Linda Ronstadt, Yes and the Zombies – are first-timers on the ballot, as well.

The other nominees are the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, Deep Purple, KISS, LL Cool J, N.W.A., the Meters and Cat Stevens. Of that group, Chic has had the most prior shots at induction, having been nominated seven times before. Actor and hip-hop star LL Cool J and the Meters now have been on the ballot three times.

Always a shock, the list of names that haven't made it in yet. I mean Deep Purple is waiting in line .....with Kiss?
You can be Nirvana is in this year, for they are associated with a whole new genre.

In my opinion,Deep Purple defined the Heavy Metal sound starting 1968.......1968!.After a hiatus or two,the're still doing it.Although I can't stand Steve Morse with Purple,they still bring it,and have one of the best rock drummers on the planet in Ian Paice.

Yes also defined the prog rock sound and was innovative for quite some time.Virtuoso musicians and two of the best drummers in rock/prog in Bill Bruford and Alan White.

I've always been a Linda Ronstadt fan,and in my opinion,she had(she can no longer sing due to Parkinsons disease) one of the best and strongest voices of any vocalist in any genre.She was innovative in her own right and bridged more that a few musical styles,which covered a lot of bases.She also has been doing it since the late 60's.

While I recognize Nirvana as being innovative,the above mentioned artists/bands already sold millions of records,and played hundreds of tour dates,before Kurt Cobain ever plugged his first guitar into an amp in his garage.

Steve B

Well, looks and appearance have at least a teeny bit of importance and Kiss had it. But the HOF is about music and unfortunately Kiss' music is average at best and really not memorabl. Sorry.

A definite yes to:

Hall and Oates - a slew of hits. Pop, but still.. mega-selling
Linda Ronstadt - nice run of varied hits, then the respectable standards and Mexican road.
Deep Purple - great group of musicians and songwrotes- defined the heavy metal birth
Yes - same as above but with progressive genre

Cat Stevens had decent longevity and good music, but not enough. Same for Chic. Influential and good sound, but it's about THEIR music. Not how they influenced others. A couple of good albums but not nearly enough.

I cast ballots for...

KISS - Ace Frehley inspired thousands of aspiring musicians to pick up their first guitar, they sold TONS of records (among other things), and I know a lot of folks who think their music is great (an opinion I don't share). I really think it is pure snobbishness that has kept them out. Who hasn't heard of KISS?

Nirvana - my generation's Beatles, the last "next big thing" to happen in the music industry (and probably the last). Launched thousands of cynical punk bands clad in plaid and donning second hand garage sale instruments. Also inspired a DIY attitude that has carried over to the digital age.

The Zombies - I will admit that I simply like their music more than any of the other candidates.

Link Wray - The original metal guitarist. The story is that the only reason John and Paul let George hang out with them is because he could play "Rumble".

NWA - Once again, not a fan, but cannot deny their influence.

Going off subject here a bit, but this is the first RnR HOF election that I have participated in. If it wasn't for the injustice of KISS being denied, I probably wouldn't have this year either.

Personally, I think the whole concept of a rock n roll hall of fame is ridiculous. The board is basically a bunch of old former musicians and critics (frustrated musicians) dictating to the rest of the world what constitutes "rock n roll" according their preformulated criteria. They should have just built a super kick ass museum, and left the "hall of fame" part to sports and other entertainment medias which have a quantifiable measure of success.

Just my two cents....

For me, Linda Rondstadt is a must vote. Not only was she so amazing in her own right, almost defining her own genre in the 70's, but without her the Eagles might never have formed. Quite an influence there!

YES is also on my list. The definition of progressive rock in my book.

Hall and Oates probably deserves it, and I like them, but they became so commercial in the 80's it kind of turned me off.

my other votes would probably go to Peter Gabriel and Deep Purple.

My vote would go for...

Deep Purple
Peter Gabriel
Yes
KISS

... err, we can only vote for one act, right?

My heart goes for Deep Purple, just for old time sake... and all those hours listening to "In Rock" and "Machine Head"... yeah, I'm an old git :)

He may get in this year because of the hit TV series NCIS Los Angeles he stars in.Lots of rock n roll there.Or maybe because he starred in SWAT or Any Given Sunday.

I like the guy,but RRHOF......? I don't get it.

Steve B

My vote would go for...

My heart goes for Deep Purple, just for old time sake... and all those hours listening to "In Rock" and "Machine Head"... yeah, I'm an old git :)

Amen to that. I accidentally let the needle carry on after "Smoke on the Water" at my uncle's house as a kid ... and I found "Lazy" ... which had a lasting effect on me. The hard rock / shuffle was something I was continually drawn towards for the next few decades (and prob to this day). This actually brought me to blues and jazz as well - as I searched for more "swing" in all its different facades.

But seriously, for the RRHOF ... look at the band! Think of the countless musicians that Lord, Blackmore, and Paice have influenced - incredible. Should have been in eons ago IMHO.

radman (another "old git" ... I think.... the UK terminology causes problems over here... lol)

Back