DDrum Dominion or PDP 805?

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
It's my 21st later in the year so as a birthday present I'm asking for a new set. Now my parents aren't rich so I wont be getting anything top of the line or custom but this is what I'm looking at so far as they're in my price range, available to me to buy and are the kind of kit I'm after:

PDP 805: price available £599 ($900ish) new, white lacquer with white hardware, birch, sizes:
18x24 kick
16x18 tom
16x16 tom
9x13 tom
7x14 snare

DDrum Dominion Dorian Maple: price available: £799 ($1200ish) ex-display, see through orange with chrome die-cast hoops, maple, discontinued sizing, sizes:
18x24 kick
14x16 tom
14x14 tom
10x13 tom
5.5x14 snare (I think)

Now there's pros and cons. I prefer the sizes of the PDP, and it's brand new, but I'm also aware it's a lower range kit and the colours aren't to everyone's taste (I like it though). Now with the DDrum, it's a higher range kit, it's maple and I like the die-cast rims but it's ex-display with a couple of marks on it and on the bass drum hoops.

I'm also looking at the DDrum Dominion Ash in 24", 16", 14", 13" and 14" sizes for £749 ($1100ish) in either black or red fade with black nickel hardware and die-cast hoops, but I'd have to order this and not get a chance to play on it.

If you have any experience, thoughts or ideas to do with these three kits let me know and give recommendations etc. Or if you go any other ideas for kits along these lines let me know. I'm after 1 up, 2 down with a 24" kick. A snare's not vital but would be nice. I also like the look of custom looks so something with funky styling is cool. I play rock/punk/metal so it should be suitable for that kind of playing.

All your help is greatly appreciated, cheers.

Gaz.

I have a red and black 805 in those exact sizes, and I love it. It's perfect for metal/punk/rock - the toms sound huge and punchy. The bass drum not only sounds like a cannon, but an ATOMIC BOMB. And the snare...let's just say it has enough CRACK and depth for any rocker. Plus, the colors are pretty beast, if I do say so myself... especially the white. Very classy.

Ddrum hand's down. The pdp looks like a toy. No offense 805drummer. Ddrum kits are great.

And wow that ash kit is way overpriced. I can get one from my local dealer for 700USD

And wow that ash kit is way overpriced. I can get one from my local dealer for 700USD

well thats in a sale too with £50 knocked off. It has got a Ddrum hardware package with it but I don't want/need it.

I have seen them cheap from US on ebay but with shipping the price goes up a fair bit

hey mate. i would personally go for the Ddrum kit. I have owned a PDP kit before with a 24" kick and to me it seemed more like a toy set. the 24" kick was pretty disappointing, very dead sounding, the rims on the toms are very thin, and they have annoying overtones. To me the 805 series is just a gimmick kit. Go for the Dominion kit.

i've never even looked at a Ddrum kit, so not a word, but i've played two 805 kits (the red/black and my neighbor's white - with pinstipes and lots of chrome and AAX's - looks sharp!), the kits sound good, they seem to tune well, great ooomph from the floor toms and the 24" kick really does play big, i can't see any reason you would'nt be quite happy with an 805...

that said - heard the X7 just got switched to maple - with no change in price...

good hunting!

I'd go with the Ddrum. Razorx, our prices are very expensive here in the UK. You wouldn't want to buy from the US though, apart from shipping there's a 4% customs clearence charge and a 15% VAT charge too. Plus you WILL have to pay more for the exchange of currency than XE.com tells you.

Ddrum hand's down. The pdp looks like a toy. No offense 805drummer. Ddrum kits are great.

So you're recommending an ash kit over Birch?

To the OP, if you don't care for the "gimmicks" of an 805, check out an FS. All birch, beautiful finishes, great sounding kits.

It's my 21st later in the year so as a birthday present I'm asking for a new set. Now my parents aren't rich so I wont be getting anything top of the line or custom but this is what I'm looking at so far as they're in my price range, available to me to buy and are the kind of kit I'm after:

PDP 805: price available £599 ($900ish) new, white lacquer with white hardware, birch, sizes:
18x24 kick
16x18 tom
16x16 tom
9x13 tom
7x14 snare

DDrum Dominion Dorian Maple: price available: £799 ($1200ish) ex-display, see through orange with chrome die-cast hoops, maple, discontinued sizing, sizes:
18x24 kick
14x16 tom
14x14 tom
10x13 tom
5.5x14 snare (I think)

Now there's pros and cons. I prefer the sizes of the PDP, and it's brand new, but I'm also aware it's a lower range kit and the colours aren't to everyone's taste (I like it though). Now with the DDrum, it's a higher range kit, it's maple and I like the die-cast rims but it's ex-display with a couple of marks on it and on the bass drum hoops.

I'm also looking at the DDrum Dominion Ash in 24", 16", 14", 13" and 14" sizes for £749 ($1100ish) in either black or red fade with black nickel hardware and die-cast hoops, but I'd have to order this and not get a chance to play on it.

If you have any experience, thoughts or ideas to do with these three kits let me know and give recommendations etc. Or if you go any other ideas for kits along these lines let me know. I'm after 1 up, 2 down with a 24" kick. A snare's not vital but would be nice. I also like the look of custom looks so something with funky styling is cool. I play rock/punk/metal so it should be suitable for that kind of playing.

All your help is greatly appreciated, cheers.

Gaz.

Actually Gaz, I think, since they are both great quality drums and companies, I would by the one that's cheapest and or whichever has the bigger bass drum! I personally think snares are vital to ANY set also!!! I always like to have two snares, one with the snares on and the other with the snares turned off but that's what I like in a drum kit!! So, I hope my tips might have helped at least some what!! keep rockin'

Hello.

I own a PDP CX kit and I have noticed problems with consistancy from one kit to the next. I bought the kit right when they came out because they looked like a nice kit for the price and some of the gigs I was playing at were at some pretty scummy places so I wanted something with a wrap that didnt cost too much. I found them very hard to tune at first and appon investigation I found that the wrap not cut all the way and was then shapped with the bearing edge. I of course brought that kit back and found that most of them had some sort of playing blemish and had to basicly piece together the kit at GC from what they had in stock. That being said this was like 4 years ago and I would imagine they fixed that by now.

Ddrum I can say look to be the best bang for your buck these days on the mainstream market. I have seen some realy nice kits for a realy low price.

So you're recommending an ash kit over Birch?

To the OP, if you don't care for the "gimmicks" of an 805, check out an FS. All birch, beautiful finishes, great sounding kits.

I haven't played an ash kit. I've played Maple and Birch. When it all comes down to it I think the sound has more to do with how you tune your drums and how you play them. That's what I think anyways.

Btw I second looking into a pdp fs. They are great looking drums in person. So are the pdp cx and cxr drums but they don't make them anymore. They are discontinued.

Why, have they released a statement saying that ash sounds crap in drums? Look you might be a PDP loyalist but i think in this case the Ddrum simply has the upper hand i'm afraid.

I'm likely wrong about the ash, but there's no surprises with maple or birch. You should know, my fellow birch kit owner. Also, lets not overlook the fact that the DDrum is relevantly more expensive than the PDP.

Last edited:
Never played on a PDP but I can tell you that my Ddrum Dorian Ash kit sounded great and had a sweet finish and nice die cast hoops. I'll vote for the ddrum :)

Back