HELP!! pearl free floater damage. what to do?

unscathed

so I bought a free floater (3.5 x 14 maple) off ebay, it is the older style free floater with the snares that extend past the bottom head (which I prefer). the drum was in immaculate condition except for the snare tension knob/bolt on the side opposite the throw off switch. I loosened it enough to take the plate off, and the bottom portion of the knob, which is basically a threaded bolt, was bent at an angle. there is no way to get it out of the snare cage! the only thing I could think of doing is getting someone to saw thru the tension knob, which MAYBE would let it out, but even if it worked, how could I even find a new one to replace it? I'm pretty sure pearl doesn't make replacement parts for their older ff frames. what do you think; return it or see what I can do? any ideas??

so I bought a free floater (3.5 x 14 maple) off ebay, it is the older style free floater with the snares that extend past the bottom head (which I prefer). the drum was in immaculate condition except for the snare tension knob/bolt on the side opposite the throw off switch. I loosened it enough to take the plate off, and the bottom portion of the knob, which is basically a threaded bolt, was bent at an angle. there is no way to get it out of the snare cage! the only thing I could think of doing is getting someone to saw thru the tension knob, which MAYBE would let it out, but even if it worked, how could I even find a new one to replace it? I'm pretty sure pearl doesn't make replacement parts for their older ff frames. what do you think; return it or see what I can do? any ideas??
Great drum choice BTW. A few options; If the fault wasn't described, then you should be able to arrange a return. Outside of that, it's worth checking if that screw is available. Don't dismiss that option. If you didn't pay that much for the drum, negotiate a part refund on the drum as it was sold without damage being described, then go buy another (maybe a brass shell) and use one as spares, plus you have two shell options.

p.s, 16" wire model is certainly the best choice.

Do you really need to take it out?

It probably took a fall on that side of the drum, bent the tensioner knob. You could try to bend it back, maybe with a rubber mallet.

I bought an old model from ebay and I too am having problems with the screws underneath loosening... but isnt yours scewed right into the sides both the throw-off and butt plate with adjustment...mine has 2 phillips on both sides ..they too get loose on me...love the sound of it and the options but had to use my back up snare Sat. night at a gig due to problems with it..I would send it back though first!

Back