Help Drum Micing

SLiK2FresH

Okay well i understand the whole Mic Placement but what do i need to mic my drum set for studio and gigs, Like i dont know what excactly i need, Like the Drum Mics of course but what do i run them to and so and so?
Like do i hook it to a laptop, or Mixer then speakers or what?
Help please.

For studio gigs you don't need mics. The studio should have them. Unless your like tracking in a living room with a friends pro tools rig or something like that. On a live gig if your miking your own drums the xlr's just plug into the board. Then your up and running. This is the short version hope it helps.

Joe

In a studio, what mics to use and how, is usually up to the producer and engineer. Unless you name is Dave Weckl or something.

Live, it will probably be up to the sound engineer, in a larger venue, it's up to the patch monkey on the stage. Unless you are big time enough have a rider listing particular mics. That would be the result of you, your soundman and some extra ears like managers and trusted muso/engineer friends saying that certain mic set ups were best for the sound of your band.

With good quality, well tuned drum sets (especially on the toms) mics and placement have as much or more effect on the sound the audience hears as one brand or model of drum over another. But this is something learned over years of micing sets though various systems in various venues.

There's more to studio/live engineering than just twisting knobs.

Resist the temptation to go out and get a cheap mic pack. You shouldn't need it unless you're doing your own live sound on the cheap. Any good sound contractor will have quality mics that will sound much better than any bargin pack. And one of the discriminating aspects of a good studio is their mic locker.

Once you've recorded and performed though various mics, you will develop a taste for certain things and then you'll be ready to go shopping for your own. Any recommendations someone else could give over the internet would be a matter of their personal taste.

Yes i understand all that but me and my band are broke and working from the ground up, were only 17 but they got there things and they sound good but its like everyone from them selfs so i need to buy the things for micing. Like what exctactly do i need?
Mics
Mic stands/clips
then What else? Like a mixer then a Speaker or what? =/

Yes i understand all that but me and my band are broke and working from the ground up, were only 17 but they got there things and they sound good but its like everyone from them selfs so i need to buy the things for micing. Like what exctactly do i need?
Mics
Mic stands/clips
then What else? Like a mixer then a Speaker or what? =/

What for mate? Tell us what you're playing/recording and perhaps we can help. As stated, most studios already have superior mics/desk etc than you'll be able to afford, so there is no need.

Live work = most should have it already but if you want your own then the choices are many. State you desired outcome and you'll get help. I could start running off an endless list now of everything you might need, but being "broke" ain't gonna help much.

Give some specifics and you'll get some specific answers. What are you micing (how many mics/what instruments and under what setting...live/studio)?, what are you trying to achieve (live through the desk for live work or CD quality for studio)?

Give the guys here more info and your answers will be more helpful.

Well that's different then.

I'm not gonna ask you what this is for. It sounds like you guys just want to mic the drums so it'll balance with the band. When you do that, then you stick some cheap recorder in front of the band to make a pretty good recording.

If you guys know you have a mixing board with enough inputs, then all YOU need is really three mics. Get one for your bass drum, one for your snare, and one for your overhead. You will be surprised how nice this sounds when the whole band is playing. If you start out sticking a mic on every piece you have in the drumkit, you're just creating a big headache.

So, get a short stand with a short boom for the bass drum, maybe the same stand for the snare drum, and a regular size mic stand with a normal boom for your overhead. Since you're 17, I would recommend finding two Shure SM57's and a condenser (looks like a pencil) mic for the overhead. Your mixing board will need phantom power to power the condenser mic, though. Get three 25' XLR mic cables. The mics will come with their own clips.

Stick one 57 in the bass, another on top of the snare, and the overhead roughly in the center but slightly in front of your head (about 18 inches higher than your head), and you should be good to go.

Did you say you had your own PA system for the band?

Alright how can i explain this, umm.... Its everyone for them selfs lol, you get your own stuff that you need for your instrument.
Like my Guitarist has his Amp and sound controlling from himself,
Same with or Bassest, Keyboards, and Rythem. They have what they need and they control it forthemself, so i need to get my stuff for my drums. Like for gigs. (Small gigs like Dances and Weddings...etc) Recordings a different story so avoid the recording. But we do Reggae. But i dont know what excactly what i need to do gigs. I already know about EQ and everything.
Sorry if im making complicated and i appriacate the help.
Its going to be like this until we get our Sound Controller dude.

Back