drum notation question

bebn

Hello all,

So, i'm trying to teach myself musical notation at the moment, i find it really helps me to think up new stuff when i'm away from a kit. I'm a bit stuck on the correct way to write something down though, so thought i'd pop in and ask the experts.

So, i'm playing a 4:4 beat, and the first time round i play a half note triplet on the last bar. The second time round, i turn each note of the half note triplet into a triplet, so 9 notes in all. How do i correctly show that a a set of 3 triplets, and not just 9 notes in a row?

Cheers

Ben

Triplets.png

thanks, much appreciated.

That's what I was expecting the answer to be. I've just gone from hand written to trying Sibelius, so will need to work out how to get it in there. There's a million diferent ways of writing stuff in there, I'm not sure what's right any more!

Cheers

Bebn

Here's an alternative way of writing that. I'm not sure which I would rather come across in a piece of music. The actual rate of the rhythm is closer to 8th notes than it is to quarter notes, and it's a little disorienting to come across a measure with nine quarter notes in it- even with the brackets- while playing in 4/4; but nesting the triplets the way WL has shown is more familiar.

Attachments

• Finale 2008 - [TEMPLATE_drumset-4-4.jpg
    Finale 2008 - [TEMPLATE_drumset-4-4.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 75
Back