Video of first gig on drums - Constructive feedback welcomed!

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Played my first gig on drums this past Friday night at a benefit show. Me and three other coworkers that have never played together put this band together just for this show. We played around 45 minutes of '70s covers and I gotta say I HAD A BLAST!

I've been a gigging lead guitar player for 25 years or so and a gigging bass player for around 3 years. I've always sat behind my drummers kit and goofed around, but I've been hitting it really hard the past 8 months or so.

In this video, I'm using a newly purchased Gretsch Catalina Maple kit and Zildjian A Custom hi-hats and crash cymbals, with a K Custom Hybrid Ride. Yes, I didn't skimp when I got cymbals! :)

Anyway, I'd love constructive feedback on my tempo, drum tuning, etc... Help me improve!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBudmswnKJA

EDIT - I should also point out that our show was meant to be a little silly and over-the-top. That's why you see me pointing in the crowd, trying to twirl sticks, wearing a headband, etc...

Pretty impressive job on keeping it together! I like it.

Also I can relate to being ignored, but I don't know how to stop it lol

There's also a section called 'Your Playing' for this type of post though...

Right? lol I posted a cover a couple days ago and it got like 50 views, but not one person commented on it... Not sure if I'm terrible and no one wants to speak up or maybe they just accidentally clicked on it lol

Right? lol I posted a cover a couple days ago and it got like 50 views, but not one person commented on it... Not sure if I'm terrible and no one wants to speak up or maybe they just accidentally clicked on it lol

I totally feel your pain. Same here. I'll go check it out now and comment. :)

I would appreciate that!

I would like to comment, but unfortunately im at work and youtube is blocked by my company, so im not even able to see the video lol.

Im sure its impressive though! :D

What is the title of the youtube video and i may be able to watch it on my phone.

I would like to comment, but unfortunately im at work and youtube is blocked by my company, so im not even able to see the video lol.

Im sure its impressive though! :D

What is the title of the youtube video and i may be able to watch it on my phone.

Cool man! It's nothing special, but I think I'm pretty solid for a "newbie" AND singing at the same time.

The titled is "Magic Carpet Ride (cover) - The Bittermen at Inteli-Palooza".

Hey man, sounds great for playing less than a year. I think the drums are tuned good, what heads do you have on them? Cymbals sound good. Hard to comment on technique from here bud you look relaxed for the most part, which is hard especially in fills for younger players (not that your a young musician, just a new drummer)

My only comment would be that sometimes you and the bass player come out of the groove, especially when the groove changes from the original beat. The end of the tom parts, and the double time part are where I noticed it the most, but its very subtle.

Great work man, you guys sound good!

Good stuff! Your muso life before drumming certainly shines through. Really good for only 12 months on drums, & singing as well. Not easy!

Please though, next time round, post videos in the "your playing" section.

Yuor drumming was the best part of the song. If I recall, Magic Carpet Ride has an extended jam. Would have loved to hear you guys stretch it out a bit. Go a little crazier on drums, but overall great. The lead singer? Eh... :)

No pointers? Yikes... It's hard to break into this group, huh?

Not hard to break into at all, I think you're just asking a question that people find hard / don't neccassarily like to answer. If you posted which heads would be best for ................ or which sticks do you prefer or is this kit any good ..... you'll get a tone of answers

There are some god like drummers out there which set a standard which everyone aspires to and us mere mortals seem to be 2nd best so it becomes hard to be overly positive about people that aren't one of those gods which can seem critical and it's really not meant to be!!

In essence though for playing for just one year I think you've a reasonably solid groove / sense of timing that you could probably say is better than a lot of people playing for a comparable period and may have been helped largely by playing other instruments previously. I think you have a good foundation from which to build but playing drums can be one hell of a long road but at least you are on the right path albeit with only a years experience. Not sure if you're self taught or having lessons, if you're not it's worth getting some but thats advice I'd give to any drummer with a years experience.

Peronally I wasn't a fan of the song and just found it middle of the road but that really is my personal taste and others may love it.

Hope that's of some use.

Hey man, sounds great for playing less than a year. I think the drums are tuned good, what heads do you have on them? Cymbals sound good. Hard to comment on technique from here bud you look relaxed for the most part, which is hard especially in fills for younger players (not that your a young musician, just a new drummer)

My only comment would be that sometimes you and the bass player come out of the groove, especially when the groove changes from the original beat. The end of the tom parts, and the double time part are where I noticed it the most, but its very subtle.

Great work man, you guys sound good!

Thanks! I actually had a hard time playing with the bass player. He's a metal dude that does alot of tapping and tricks, so he was way out of his element playing "simple" bass lines. But still, we had alot of fun!

I have the most experience out of all of those guys (by years and years), but they're extremely nice dudes and worked their butt off to get 8 or 9 songs down in a few weeks.

I have an Evans EMAD on the bass batter side and an EQ3 on the reso side. The snare batter head is a Remo. The toms are actually the stock "Gretsch by Evans" heads, because I didn't get a chance to change them out yet. They sound pretty good to me, though!

Good stuff! Your muso life before drumming certainly shines through. Really good for only 12 months on drums, & singing as well. Not easy!

Please though, next time round, post videos in the "your playing" section.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't realize that section existed. Sorry about that!

Yuor drumming was the best part of the song. If I recall, Magic Carpet Ride has an extended jam. Would have loved to hear you guys stretch it out a bit. Go a little crazier on drums, but overall great. The lead singer? Eh... :)

LOL! I'm not much of a singer either, I know. he he

I don't think we knew how to stretch that middle jam out more. Notice how the guys are looking at me right away wanting me to come back into the song. lol

Not hard to break into at all, I think you're just asking a question that people find hard / don't neccassarily like to answer. If you posted which heads would be best for ................ or which sticks do you prefer or is this kit any good ..... you'll get a tone of answers

There are some god like drummers out there which set a standard which everyone aspires to and us mere mortals seem to be 2nd best so it becomes hard to be overly positive about people that aren't one of those gods which can seem critical and it's really not meant to be!!

In essence though for playing for just one year I think you've a reasonably solid groove / sense of timing that you could probably say is better than a lot of people playing for a comparable period and may have been helped largely by playing other instruments previously. I think you have a good foundation from which to build but playing drums can be one hell of a long road but at least you are on the right path albeit with only a years experience. Not sure if you're self taught or having lessons, if you're not it's worth getting some but thats advice I'd give to any drummer with a years experience.

Peronally I wasn't a fan of the song and just found it middle of the road but that really is my personal taste and others may love it.

Hope that's of some use.

Thanks for that feedback! I appreciate it. And yeah, I'm teaching myself. Probably not a great idea (forming bad habits), but I'm giving it a shot for now. I've thought about taking lessons, though.

Back