Time to buy my Monkey Suit

yesdog

Silver Member
I landed a wedding band gig that will get me an extra 30k a year. Along with my other band I am so close to playing drums for a living. On second thought if I keep my day job I will finally be able to not worry about money. Its funny, you work so hard to get to a point were you can do what you love for a living and have a change of heart. If the money was there heck ya. I am sick and tired of living paycheck to paycheck and i'm sure everyone else is. I feel very fortunate to be in this position. Time to by a tuxedo.

Last edited:
There is always cash in weddings.
I used to play them years ago. I didn't mind it.
Go for it!

Wow 30K a year :-o How many weddings are you going???????????????

That's great news Scott! I'd keep as much going as possible until you're settled enough to make an informed choice. I know this has been a tough time for you, & I'm stoked that real opportunities are coming your way. Rock on Doggie!

Wow 30K a year :-o How many weddings are you going???????????????

That's what I'm wondering about!

30k a year for doing weddings....that's approx 577 bucks a week, if you played a gig every week...2500 if you play once a month.

Heck yeah...I would get a tux for that!

Congrats to the OP!!

There are some great, cheap tuxes & nice shiny shoes out there, but definitely do the shirt and tie(s) right. Good idea to have a standard 'big' bowtie, as well as one of those slim ones, and an appropriate shirt for each. Those alone may equal the cost of the coat and pants, but will really class them up.

I have a couple of black black suits that do the job, along with a nice tux shirt and ties. And since I'm mostly behind the drums or hanging with the band members (rather than mingling up close with guests,) nobody's ever said I didn't look right, or pointed out that I didn't have a 'proper' tux. Never wore a cumberbund, and it hasn't been a problem either.

Bermuda

Nice gig...I 'd dress up in a tarzan suit for an xtra 30 geeeeez!

And don't forget, if you get 1099'd for the work, be sure to expense the the suit & accessories, as well as dry cleaning. And gas to the gig, and drum gear, and CD/downloads if you need to learn songs, etc etc. Music is fun, but at some point it also becomes a business with all the trimmings.

I think we'd all like an extra 30k a year, congrats!!

Bermuda

I'm glad to hear that the Wedding band thing is good in the Windy City.
Here in Ct it is dead! I used to play about 10 weddings a year and I wasn't even in a wedding band. I would get called to fill in for bands that needed a drummer, etc.
Last year I played 1!

The woman who plays the sax in one of my bands used to live off of weddings and now she doesn't get many gigs either. She lives in western Mass.
Her Sax teaching has dwindled down from 30 private students to 5!

Nice gig...I 'd dress up in a tarzan suit for an xtra 30 geeeeez!

I might even go back to my zebra striped spandex for that kinda of money...or maybe not..dont think I'd quite fit in them anymore and most of all I dont think anyone would want to see them..again...my kids do get a good laugh out of the videos from the 80's of there dad though.. congrats thats a great gig!!!

That's great news. I too think wedding bands in this area are in the decline.

Congrats!

Which band did you land the gig with? I did that scene for a good number of years. It's tough work indeed, but it's a good way to make a living as a musician in Chicago.

Best of luck!

Terry

And don't forget, if you get 1099'd for the work, be sure to expense the the suit & accessories, as well as dry cleaning. And gas to the gig, and drum gear, and CD/downloads if you need to learn songs, etc etc. Music is fun, but at some point it also becomes a business with all the trimmings.

I think we'd all like an extra 30k a year, congrats!!

Bermuda

I already have 1099 for the other band. The tax man will love doing my taxes this year. I have receipts for heads sticks gas stage clothes. I will have to see what gets decucted.

Congrats! I wish I found a secure 30k/year music gig. Heck, if I were single and didn't have kids, I could live off of that...

It may sound great, and yes I am excited. I may make that cash this year and it will be over. I know how this biz works even if you sighn a contract it could all end tomorrow. There are no garantees in music. You stil got to go for it, but you need to cover your self with a day job as well.

It may sound great, and yes I am excited. I may make that cash this year and it will be over. I know how this biz works even if you sighn a contract it could all end tomorrow. There are no garantees in music. You stil got to go for it, but you need to cover your self with a day job as well.

That's what makes me sick to my stomach about baseball players signing $15 million/year guaranteed contracts, even if they end up sucking or getting injured. Drumming can be just as hard work, or even harder than playing baseball.

Back