Hands up fans of 13" diameter snare drums

Im not sure a 13" will be loud enough for metal music. But i want a tighter snare sound than my gretsch 14" is currently offering me. Anyone have suggestions?

The music stores here just get in 14" metal snares, im not sure what material im looking for currently to be honest. Having small drum departments here is really setting me back.

One downside (if you can call it that), that I thought I'd point out. I had been playing my 13" snare for a while, including my nightly rudiments practice routine, and it made playing significantly easier. I went to my first drum lesson in 6 months and found it very hard to play on drum teacher's very loosely-tuned 14" snare. The lesson was to point out stick control...and I felt like I was playing unusually crappy.

Also...another thing. While my 13x7" Brass Patina is a brass shell and it's a deep drum...it's still noticeably quieter than any of my 14" snares. There is less dynamic range there...even w/ 1" less.

Just some thoughts...

Im not sure a 13" will be loud enough for metal music. But i want a tighter snare sound than my gretsch 14" is currently offering me. Anyone have suggestions?

The music stores here just get in 14" metal snares, im not sure what material im looking for currently to be honest. Having small drum departments here is really setting me back.

chris adler uses a 12x5" walnut snare, always has, its now a signature snare, also the black panther "blaster" (12x7") does just that...

I LOVE his snare sound too......hmm theres a gretsch free range snare that matches my kit for $150......its 12"

I think the snare that I am about to put an order on, you should also look at.
The Mapex Black Panther 'Blaster'.

•8.5mm shell constructed from
•5.1mm maple shell and
•3.4mm walnut reinforcing rings
•13" x 7"
•5:5 bearing edge

"For an ear-shattering loud and aggressive response, tune this drum to a little higher pitch... (and then warn everyone around you.)"

Back