Drummers who don't use cymbal stoppers

Yamaha's nylon cymbal sleeves have threads inside. Mine untighten themselves while I'm playing, but y'know. I imagine one could quite easily use those T-tops or Coady posts on top of sleeves to keep the sleeve in place and just use a bit of glue to secure the felt.

Porter, I understood the bit about gluing the felt on :)

At the moment I'm using gaffa tape to "secure" the washer, felt and sleeve. It's not very secure.

Have any of you used one of these? Looks like a good idea.

I think I would try it with no top felt.

SC-SNA_lg1.jpg

I use a set of the Gibraltar flat based stands with that "Swing Nut" top. They work pretty well, except the cymbal does swing up past the plastic sleeve and makes contact with the metal part above the sleeve. I don't imagine it does it enough to cause keyholing right away, but after a few thousand hits it might.

Another commenter on here suggested the Grombals, and I think I will go back to using those. I used them for about 3 years of years and I really liked how easy they were. They stay attached to the cymbal, and you just slide them onto the bare post and play (some stands might need a metal washer under the cymbal to keep it from sliding down past the part of the post where the washer/sleeve combo normally goes).

For me the Pearl wingnut is the way to go. its a 5 second job, they look great, protect the cymbals againt keyholing and - for those who like that - is adjustable to allow some restriction of the cymbal movement.

thx

jorn

I can't recommend the Pearl winglocs enough, they stay exactly where you set them and make cymbal swapping a quick thing. The best part is that you won't lose them during transport.

Porter, I understood the bit about gluing the felt on :)

At the moment I'm using gaffa tape to "secure" the washer, felt and sleeve. It's not very secure.

Haha, so, the Yamaha nylon sleeves (available aftermarket) have threads on the inside so they'll stay on the post without anything on top (which normal unthreaded sleeves obviously won't do). Other than that, one could use regular sleeves, glued washers, and the aforementioned T-Tops or Coady cymbal posts to secure the nylon sleeve from falling off during transport (and add a little visual flair).

Back