Splashes

I was looking to buy a splash pretty soon. Its probably going to be a sabian. Any suggestions?
Are the rest of your cymbals Sabians? That's pretty much why I bought my Sabian Splash.But I did try out a few and settled on a 9" Mike Portnoy Signature splash. But right now I'm using a 10" Paiste Signature splash and I like it even better, or just as much.

Sabian, as does most major cymbal manufacturers, have many different series of splash cymbals in many different price ranges. Maybe you should check out Sabians website for the ones that appeal to you. I have several in the Hand Hammered and HHX lines, along with some Zildjian splashes.

Dennis

I've got a few different brands of splashes in various sizes 6" to 12", other than a tonal difference between each they all sound pretty much the same. Crappy.
When cymbals get that small I don't find that you're going to get a good sound no matter the brand or the price, Just pick one that works for you.

If you've never tried them, check out Dream cymbals. Their quality and sound stand up to the big names and at almost half the price (depending on the market). I have Sabian AAX hats, ride, and crashes - my Dream Bliss 10" and 12" splashes sit very nicely along with them.

If you've never tried them, check out Dream cymbals. Their quality and sound stand up to the big names and at almost half the price (depending on the market). I have Sabian AAX hats, ride, and crashes - my Dream Bliss 10" and 12" splashes sit very nicely along with them.

I tried Dream cymbals at my local music store and they all sounded on the trashy side. I was kind of amazed cause what I heard online I really liked. Their splashes are ok can't say that about their crashes.

I suggest ebay for a used splash. I got a Zildjian K 10" splash for $55 shipped in excellent condition.

In my honest opinion get to a shop and test all the splashes they have in stock out then decide. I usually prefer the sound of Zildjian cymbals, few weeks ago when I was at Guitar Center just playing around on a bunch of different cymbals(including all the splashes) looking for a new one I came across a Sabian Paragon 10" that sounded really good and better then all the other ones there.

My point is no two cymbals will sound alike which makes each cymbal unique. Go try them out and see what your ears truly like, that will help you decide.

I really like the AAX 10". anything smaller to me sounds too much like a tin can or a toy if that makes sence.

I also am in love with this splash tone. But like any cymbal, you need to decide for yourself.

I have a 10 and a 6, and to my ear the 10 is just too big to give me that splashy sound I’m looking for.

Also, a splash is probably the mostly likely cymbal to break in a hurry. Use it sparingly and in quieter sections.

I've scored 6 cracked cymbals on Ebay a few days ago (haven't been delivered yet) with the intention of sizing them down into chime bells (Gavin Harrison inspired) - it's 5 Zildjian and 1 Paiste cymbal, with most of the cracks having been flexed out by the previous owner. Now I'm thinking of reducing them into the next round shape (=would be splash sizes) and check whether they'll sound fine or work them into chime bells right away. What do you think? What sizes would you recommend?

I've scored 6 cracked cymbals on Ebay a few days ago (haven't been delivered yet) with the intention of sizing them down into chime bells (Gavin Harrison inspired) - it's 5 Zildjian and 1 Paiste cymbal, with most of the cracks having been flexed out by the previous owner. Now I'm thinking of reducing them into the next round shape (=would be splash sizes) and check whether they'll sound fine or work them into chime bells right away. What do you think? What sizes would you recommend?

You can go with odd sizes just to be different.

Back