A tip for floor tom conversions to bass drums

I'm sorry I don't follow at all. By bass drum head do you mean a head that's slightly larger than the tom (such as an 18" head on a 16" drum), or a small sized bass drum head (like a powerstroke 3).

I don't know a lot about heads but wouldn't a 16" PS3 (if it exsists) sit on the drum normally?

I don't understand this yet, but it seem quite intriguing!

-Jonathan

E.R.A, Bass drum heads have larger rims than tom heads so they won't fit in the channel of a tom hoop.
This solves the problem without buying a bass drum hoop.

No Grea, it will not bend the hoop. Bass drum tension is never tight enough for that to occur.

E.R.A, Bass drum heads have larger rims than tom heads so they won't fit in the channel of a tom hoop.

No Grea, it will not bend the hoop. Bass drum tension is never tight enough for that to occur.

Ah. Never noticed!

-Jonathan

I never knew this untill Bo started a rant thread about the idiot kid ad Guitar Center that didn't know this either and tried to sell him a 16" tom head for a 16" bass drum. Then I felt like an idiot for not knowing the difference.

...thanks Bo

I had originally aimed this at the Tama and Gretsch street kits that are set up as 16" bass drums with triple flange hoops. But yes the riser is a good idea. I like the look of the Gibraltar Dunnett conversion though I've never tried it...

I didn't know about the head differences either.

Bob, it's not the head tension. I'm imagining what the floor and pedal would do to the hoop.

Back