DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 09-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Default More Gibson lawsuit news...

Article: https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...llion-lawsuit/

From the article: "...Gibson was attempting to use its enormous reputation and image to reap huge profits off of its dedicated user base..."
Old 09-04-2018, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: More Gison lawsuit news...

Wow. That's sad. But I'm wiling to bet there are still millions of people worldwide who would love to own a Gibson Les Paul someday - just because of who it's associated with. They'll be back up on their feet in no time, with lessons learned, hopefully.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by News Article View Post
Gibson is now looking for a new CEO after effectively firing co-founder Henry Juszkiewicz from the role.
Co-founder?

He must have been very old indeed when he got fired.

Ageism at its worst.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:25 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: More Gibson lawsuit news...

I can't imagine any other suppliers willing to grant them credit for parts if the 60 million is forgiven. If it's not, they will have to sell a ton of guitars just to break even. Their employees must be job hunting. Maybe they can get on with Gretsch guitars. They must be picking up some of the slack eventually.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:45 PM

They can only get by on past reputation for so long, as many large corporations find out. I hope they can find a way to survive, but until they reinvent themselves, only the older models will have any value. Friends on guitar forums have been lamenting their downhill slide for a long time.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Wow. That's sad. But I'm wiling to bet there are still millions of people worldwide who would love to own a Gibson Les Paul someday - just because of who it's associated with. They'll be back up on their feet in no time, with lessons learned, hopefully.
From what I've observed, the majority of young players have no idea that the Les Paul model guitar is actually associated with a real person (and slamming guitar player) named Les Paul.

It's kind of sad what happened with Gibson. When my son was coming on strong as a guitar player, I wanted to get him a new guitar to kind of fuel the fire. Initially he wanted a genuine SG due to the influence of one of his first guitar heroes, Angus Young from AC/DC. I made the mistake of A/B'ing an SG with a Les Paul Standard, and this particular Les Paul Standard was fantastic. I wasn't going to spend that much, but we couldn't find a LP Studio that was even close, so I put it on a one year, same as cash plan and got it for him.

Unfortunately, Gibson guitars are so hit-or-miss these days that my son won't even look at them anymore. He cherishes his Les Paul, (he doesn't take it on tour though - he refuses to take THAT guitar on tour) but he thinks that current offerings from Gibson are far inferior to what they were even 10 years ago.

I remember not long after we got his Les Paul seeing the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend flyers and catalogs, and there were more variations of the Les Paul than you could shake a stick at. They were trying to find something to appeal to every guitar player rather than just doing really well with the few variations they already had, and don't get me started on those awful robo-tuners. Talk about a poor business decision!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

Maybe it's just me, but that article seems pretty patronizing and lacking in information. There's a brief mention of actual news - that Gibson is trying to get a suit dismissed - then a bunch of critical opinion about Gibson as an entity and virtue signalling about how awful it is for them to try to make a profit.

For example:

Quote:
The company has been accused of shortchanging customers with image over substance, and failing to keep up with an ever-changing music industry that is increasingly turning to laptop computers instead of guitars.
So, a bog-standard "some people say" yellow journalism attack (and a very vague one), followed by an admission that the entire music industry is shifting away from guitars ... followed by:

Quote:
It’s difficult to pinpoint why Gibson has had so many difficult years as of late
Um ... maybe the reason you just mentioned?

And then:

Quote:
but the company’s recent switch to a low-cost, high-profit business model has had many fans worried for some time
Wow, a business with a "low cost, high profit" business model. Unheard of!

I have no dog in this race, because I don't play guitar, and when I did own a guitar it was a Fender. But man, journalism is a joke these days.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheCoolNamesAreTaken View Post
Maybe it's just me, but that article seems pretty patronizing and lacking in information. There's a brief mention of actual news - that Gibson is trying to get a suit dismissed - then a bunch of critical opinion about Gibson as an entity and virtue signalling about how awful it is for them to try to make a profit.

For example:

So, a bog-standard "some people say" yellow journalism attack (and a very vague one), followed by an admission that the entire music industry is shifting away from guitars ... followed by:

Um ... maybe the reason you just mentioned?

And then:

Wow, a business with a "low cost, high profit" business model. Unheard of!

I have no dog in this race, because I don't play guitar, and when I did own a guitar it was a Fender. But man, journalism is a joke these days.
You are incredibly astute! I totally agree! Journalism in this day and age is seriously lacking.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

I thought this discussion was very informative:
https://youtu.be/9_Xi9GQ48iY
Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM

Another tidbit of article info: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...l-mess-719342/