DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming But Music Related

Old 08-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Drumming Influenced Consumerism

How many, if any, of your purchasing decisions are based around the fact you play drums?

I knowingly have done it a couple of times. When I was gigging my vehicle choice was always influenced by whether or not I could get my gear in the car. Yes, car, but always a hatchback.

I've also made rental decisions based on whether or not I had a room for drums and if I would be able to play them, i.e. apartment vs duplex vs house.

Anyone else?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Re: Drumming Influenced Consumerism

I'm sure more than one person has paid for shoes for the sole(ha ha) purpose of using them for drumming.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

It's the first thing I think about when buying a car.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I'm sure more than one person has paid for shoes for the sole(ha ha) purpose of using them for drumming.
Never would have even considered this. I play in socks! I imagine that would be something to consider though.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
It's the first thing I think about when buying a car.
I bet this plays hell on a car salesman. If buying new anyhow. "How can I help you?" "I have drums." "Uhh, do you like blue?!?"
Old 08-16-2018, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

I bought my girlfriend an "I'm with the drummer" tee shirt...
Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
I bet this plays hell on a car salesman. If buying new anyhow. "How can I help you?" "I have drums." "Uhh, do you like blue?!?"
Hahaha, pretty much. I look for the smallest thing that will still hold my drums comfortably, and has good gas mileage, and a tight turning radius. And of course isn't likely to break down on me too soon. So far, that's been a Saturn station wagon, a Honda Element (my favorite car), and most recently, a Kia Soul.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Gold Member

I have bought some drum brand shirts and hats over the years. Cars have never been a issue, drums take up less room than kids, so if I can fit the kids, the drums will be good.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

A small cargo trailer that I probably would never have purchased if I played the saxophone instead of drums.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Started with a 1960 Chevy Nomad station wagon. Then manned up and have owned three different vans since. Current--and favorite--is a Ford Transit Connect Cargo van.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 PM

I donít know if this counts - When house hunting we had agreed on a few things to make things simple, fireplace, back yard for dogs (lived in condo with small garden patio yard), we wanted an office room and a room to house my drum kits. When we purchased our house in June we found one with a fully finished walkout basement that had 2 additional rooms. My beat lab is underground and has no windows on opposite end of walkout so it is under surrounded by concrete, earth, and carpeted, while the other room has full windows (no egress) faces the walkout towards back yard. Couldnít have asked for a better situation! We saw homes with basement egress windows but I knew acoustics would escape also found some with additional storage and didnít want to have everyone hear echos of drums.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

I bought a house that was far away from neighbors so that I could play drums without bothering people.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

I've always owned at least one car that can transport my drumset. My wife and I also put a third car space in our garage, not for cars or storage, but for drums; I hope to finish it out in the next couple of years with sound treatment and HVAC so that it can be a proper rehearsal space. Should we move, we'll be looking for a place that has either a decently sized outbuilding, or enough land upon which to build one.

But then, I'm not quite middle-aged, I've been working since I was 17, and I've been reasonably sensible about my money. It's paid off.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

I haven't ever looked for a place without thinking about where I'm going to play drums or where a band can rehearse. If I can't do it there, then how much will it cost to rent an outside facility.

I've never purchased a vehicle without verifying how I'm going to load in gear. Sometimes this extends to bringing a tape measure when I'm checking something out, and has gone as far as doing a partial load on a test drive.

I also have a cargo trailer, but that's more for full band situations than directly for drumming, but they're often part and parcel.

Beyond that, drumming can influence WHERE I spend money. If I have a choice of going out and seeing live music, and there's a singer-songwriter thing with an acoustic guitar, or a place with some kind of band with a drummer, the latter wins every time.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 PM

My last vehicle was absolutely purchased because of my drumming. I wanted a vehicle where I wouldn't lose any of the main passenger area due to loading my drums in it, and I wound up with a lightly used 2012 Nissan Pathfinder.

When it comes to shoes, I always wonder about how well I'll be able to drum in them.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Let's see, clothes, socks, shoes, vehicles, drumming needs, homes..

No, I'd say that drumming in no way affects my purchases :)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Looking for a house right now, and none are being even considered no matter how perfect if I don't think I can rock out with my guac out while avoiding neighbor complaints.

Bought my car a while back and took a tape measure to make sure I could get my largest bass drum in.

When recently purchasing home "accents"(decorations to go on tables and stuff) with significant other, I lobbied for the "accents" that sounded the best when played as a drum. It was a cool set of 3 different size metal decorative things and each one had a different pitch when struck. She wanted an apparently more desirable geometric metal-work that didn't sound anywhere near as good and was all one piece and then she got grumpy when I hit it with a drum stick.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 PM

I bought a house a year ago. A finished basement was a requirement for me.
I bought a car 3 months ago and it's a wagon.

So yes, I am influenced.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, bringing a tape measure to check out a vehicle, now that is hard core!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Wow, bringing a tape measure to check out a vehicle, now that is hard core!
At the time I was looking at smaller hatch backs and it was a real question... I couldn't have a car that didn't fit all my drums. So yea, I measured.

In the end I went with a smaller SUV kinda thing so getting whatever in there is no sweat.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 AM

Every car I've ever bought.......
Old 08-21-2018, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
Every car I've ever bought.......
The real oddity to me are drummers that can't fit their kit in their car, or only own a bicycle or motorcycle and can't transport their drums at all.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Yup, as others have mentioned:

Shoes (I prefer Chuck Taylors for both drumming and weightlifting.)
Shirts
Pants
EVERY vehicle
Both homes I bought had to have a basement
My gym membership

...and most of all, and most importantly, I married a sweetheart that understands and supports my music habits. She actually learned bass so that we can play together.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a college degree outside of music so I could afford to play what, where and when I want to(within reason, of course) instead of trying to make $ dancing around the fact that most drummers play what ohers want them to play and make slightly better than min wage.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

I’ve always had company cars and haven’t needed or could afford a second car for drum use. What I’ve found over the (many) years is that “within reason” pretty much any regular kit will fit into any regular car. I’ll exclude the tiny city cars out of this observation (then again having never driven one I could be wrong) as well as Progressive Metal sized kits. When I worked in the motor trade many years ago I could be taking a different car home every night and whether it was a Vauxhall Carlton or a Vauxhall Nova (back in the days when a small car meant small) I could always fit my 12”, 13”, 14”, 15”, 16”, 22”x 14” power Tom sized kit with double braced counter weighted cymbal stands and hardware in it. And no matter how big the car I’ve found that getting sloppy with the packing makes the process resemble the Ideal Gas Law in that the drumkit will always fill up the space available to it! If I’ve had a saloon then as long as I can fit the bass drum on the back seat I’ll find a way.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, "does it have room for my drums" is definitely a consideration when buying a car. Thankfully I don't have a huge kit, so it's rarely a problem.

I've also bought shoes because they would be comfortable to play drums in (Converse Check Taylors usually)

Unfortunately I've never been in the financial situation of letting the possibility of a drum room influence my decision to buy a house, but I'd love to be in that situation one day.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I bought a college degree outside of music so I could afford to play what, where and when I want to(within reason, of course) instead of trying to make $ dancing around the fact that most drummers play what ohers want them to play and make slightly better than min wage.
This is great. I also picked my career based on my love of playing drums. I went into the education field because most teachers are off in the summer whenever a lot of musicians are touring. My music "career" has never really taken off the way I wanted. Let's just say thank God for plan B! I now teach at a college (12 months of the year), but I leave at 5:00 M-F and I never work weekends so I can play.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

My old band used to buy sausage rolls and pasties before practice (preferably Gregg's but Hampson's would do). Don't know about any correlation to drumming but I like the word sausage ROLL.

I had considered alcohol free beer to help with playing, but the real stuff relaxes me more and when I've had enough I'm better than Bonham (this impression lasts as long as the alcohol takes effect or course).