I pased the audition!

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Here's how this happened: I answered an ad on Craigslist regarding an older guitarist who wanted to join a classic rock and blues band, after his band fired their original drummer and went on permanent hiatus.

I decided to respond to him saying if he cant find a band to join and if he wants to get his band back together, I'd be willing to audition with them, since they play the same tunes I like listening to and playing. To make a long story short, I called him and we talked for about 1 hour discussing music, band dyhamics, drumming, rehearsals, etc. Turns out his former band played some of the same places my former band played, so there was a good connection there.

He got his band back together - 1 lead, 1 bass, and keys and we all met over at his house to run over the 5 set lists they had put together.

I expected an audition of 1 or 2 hours tops. Turns out we played over 5 hoiurs and ran through a good chunk of thier catolog. After Tom Petty's "Running down a Dream" we called it quits and they asked me to join.

Now I have some homework to learn the rest of their set lists.

Weird, but about the only song I had trouble with was Skynyrd's "Call me the Breeze". After several starts and stops, I got it though.

[

way to go, hope this work out! man a 5 hour audition, I would have collapsed by the fourth.

Congrats!!

Sounds like a good start.

you have mentioned three songs (in this and another thread or two) and my band plays all three of them.

Call me the Breeze
Pride and Joy
Roadhouse Blues

All three have plenty of room for a drummer. Good for you and enjoy!

If there's anyone who is doggedly determined, it's you Rouge.

That's almost as good as it gets audition-wise.

Way to go.

Re: I passed the audition!

"Call me the breeze" is a very deceptive beat; it's a "two beat" meaning it's just "Boom Chuck" all the way through but it's the sway and swing you gotta attach to it for it to bounce right.

If you can play quarters on the hihat with 1 on the kick and 2 on the snare, you can do it. That's the simplest beat there is. But laying down that feel... it's a great lesson in simplicity!

Thank you everyone for your encouraging words! I'll certainly do my best now to keep this gig!

Back