Yamaha Drums

Three boxes of batteries showed up at my home today.

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 1,301
Three boxes of batteries showed up at my home today.

Oooooohhhhhh.....I wonder what could be be in those boxes?
Nothin' like fresh batteries...especially Cherry Wood batteries.

Say, do you guys try to keep factory boxes or chuck 'em?

Neal

Oooooohhhhhh.....I wonder what could be be in those boxes?
Nothin' like fresh batteries...especially Cherry Wood batteries.

Say, do you guys try to keep factory boxes or chuck 'em?

Neal

I keep mine but space is catching up with me.

I only saved the box of my custom Sub-kick.

Look what came in this morning.

10312545_10203643692712474_5385235011441582274_n.jpg

60's bd pedal, hh stand and spare parts :D

I only saved the box of my custom Sub-kick.

Look what came in this morning.

10312545_10203643692712474_5385235011441582274_n.jpg

60's bd pedal, hh stand and spare parts :D
Very nice addition for your vintage kit!

Keep 'em if I know I'll be able to use them to ship things but otherwise they get tossed. I've never been able to let go of a Yamaha kit so I don't keep them with "just in case I sell them" in mind. ;-)

Interesting, I don't keep my Yamaha boxes for the same reason. I have sold everything else...you name the brand - but have never been able to part with a Yamaha kit. Yet. Just about to let a couple go though...in exchange for other Yamaha drums, not sure that counts.

Neal

I think the biggest deal with the copper pins is that if you're JR Robinson, you can tell everyone - "hey, look at what I got Yamaha to do for me ! They put copper pins in the shell! I also asked for embedded silver dollars but they said no..."

Seriously though - I think the idea is the pins will transfer vibration from the top head to the bottom head faster, and by a different means (added/different resonance) than the wood shell and air...
I've seen one of those drums in a Bubinga outer veneer for sale at a drum shop in Ottawa about a year ago - $1000 used. Not bad. It's gone.

Neal

I think the biggest deal with the copper pins is that if you're JR Robinson, you can tell everyone - "hey, look at what I got Yamaha to do for me ! They put copper pins in the shell! I also asked for embedded silver dollars but they said no..."

Seriously though - I think the idea is the pins will transfer vibration from the top head to the bottom head faster, and by a different means (added/different resonance) than the wood shell and air...
I've seen one of those drums in a Bubinga outer veneer for sale at a drum shop in Ottawa about a year ago - $1000 used. Not bad. It's gone.

Neal

Interesting. Someone was recently selling one of the birch, wrapped models on DO for $525 USD shipped.

Actually, maybe the one I saw was actually heavy figured bird's eye maple.(not bubinga) ..it's kind of dark for bird's eye.

Neal

Just got the new Interstate Music catalog and Yamaha has brought back the Vintage, Sensitive, Loud Series Oak and the Steel, Brass and Copper snare drums.

Okay guys. Just saw Weckl in clinic with the new Absolute Hybrid Maples.
They sounded f#$kking awesome. Before he played the kit, he hit each tom once so everyone could hear them clearly. I melted into my seat when he hit the floor tom. Very solid, tons and tons of bottom end...dynamics, punch, nice attack, etc etc. Very nice tonal balance. Something about the attack seemed different to me than the MCA's...more attack or faster or something.
I know the Wenge ply is supposed to 'anchor' the shell, being the hardest ply in the center...I can say that the Hybrids sound different than MCA's for sure....but why...who knows.

BTW, the kit had coated Ambassador batters and clear ambassador resonant heads on everything. Yes, coated Ambassador on the bass drum.

I specifically asked Dave what he felt the difference was sound wise between the MIJ Absolute Maple Customs and the new Absolute Hybrids - he said that while he's only played the new kit for three days now, he said they seemed to have more low end than the older MIJ MCA's (which he did not like or play, BTW), the Hybrids not as boomy - and that he thought the Maple (Chinese??) in these drums was softer but also had more bottom end than North American Maple....something else about the Wenge center ply, don't remember. He was "ridiculously happy" with the new Hybrids.

They certainly sounded huge and dynamic with tons and tons of low end punch, but it's hard to say how much of that was drum and how much was PA. It was a sold out 200 person crowd and fairly good sounding room...

This is the 30th anniversary tour of Dave being with Yamaha ...starting pretty much now - he will be doing a full U.S. Tour with these drums, so get out and see them, your ears will make you a believer.

The clinic was excellent...my third time seeing Dave, brilliant as usual. Inspiring.

Neal

I don't think Yamaha have brought them back, I think interstate music bought a lot of MIJ snares and are trying to clear them out.

That could be true.
They list all of the colors and sizes in the catalog... Not so on the website.

Back