Buying new bass drum head

Mrdrummerman24

A few weeks ago I busted through my Evans Emad. I didn't have a spare around except for the old stock head that came on my first kit, which was a Grand Percussion kit.. Don't judge. it was my first set.. But anyway, Im thouroughly dissatisfied with that head on my kick at the moment. Im waiting on my Debit card in the mail, so in the mean time Ive been researching new bass heads. I am really interested in the Aquarian Super Kick II, but I want some of your opinions on it. Im open to looking into any CLEAR 22" batter head for my kick. So tell me your thoughts and if you have an aquarian superkick II what do you think about it?

I am a big fan of the Aquarian heads, I use the SK1 but if you like the 2 ply heads then the SK2 is a good choice, the SK heads give a great thud with no extra muffling needed in the drum so the drum will sound much bigger than a drum with a pillow inside it plus those can be tuned up till they start to resonate as well if you want more of a booming sound. Not sure what the SK2 goes for but I get my SK1 as a package that also comes with a ported regulator front head and a double kick patch all for $62 with free shipping in the USA from music123.Hope that helps.

http://www.music123.com/drums-percussion/aquarian-bass-drumhead-pack/449391000000092

Why are you dissatisfied with the evans emad? Just curious. HOw long did you have the emad before it broke? What kind of beater are you using, and does it hit the drum head square or on an angle. Those Pearl quad beaters can cause trouble if they are not lined up perfectly square or if your kick pedal is not square to your kick drum. I used an emad on a beater kit for 2 years before I switched it but not because it broke.

If your sticking to single ply you can go Remo PS3, Aquarian SK1. I think evans also has another singly ply version that is closer to a PS3, I believe its an Evans EQ4? can someone verify that?

I use a PS3 clear on a 20" kick drum.

If your sticking to single ply you can go Remo PS3, Aquarian SK1. I think evans also has another singly ply version that is closer to a PS3, I believe its an Evans EQ4? can someone verify that?

I use a PS3 clear on a 20" kick drum.

The PS3 and EQ4 batter heads are very similar heads. Both have internal muffling rings. I use them both.

Dennis

Darn, If i were in Kentucky, I'd give you my EMAD2 head. I tried it out for about four days and decided that I didn't like it. I really prefer a more open bass drum sound.

PS3 or EQ4 for me =)

The PS3 and EQ4 batter heads are very similar heads. Both have internal muffling rings. I use them both.

Dennis

Actually, the PS3 is more like a EQ3, since both of those are single-ply. The EQ4 is a double-ply head, then fitted with the edge ring. The Remo PS4 is like the EQ4, I think.

Nuh uh, Bo, EQ1 and EQ4 are both single ply, EQ2 and EQ3 are both two ply.

No idea what the difference between the 1 and 4 are, though, both look like they have the same spec on the web site, single ply 10 mil with some built in muffling.

Actually, the PS3 is more like a EQ3, since both of those are single-ply. The EQ4 is a double-ply head, then fitted with the edge ring. The Remo PS4 is like the EQ4, I think.

This comes straight from the horse's mouth:

EVANS
The EQ4 Batter Clear features an internal control ring that varies depending on the size of the head and 10mil single-ply construction that's durable. It gives you precise slap with just the right low-frequency thunder.

The EQ3 Batter features a Controlled low-end rumble and focused attack make the EQ3 the perfect live head. A double-ply head with fixed internal overtone control ring and removable EQ muffle ring, it will hold up under heavy hitting.

REMO
The Clear Powerstroke®3 (10 mil single-ply) features a thin underlay at the outer edge of the head to subtly dampen unwanted overtones. This creates a near-perfect balance of response and tone control that has quickly made Powerstroke 3 one of Remo’s most preferred drumheads.

Nuh uh, Bo, EQ1 and EQ4 are both single ply, EQ2 and EQ3 are both two ply.

No idea what the difference between the 1 and 4 are, though, both look like they have the same spec on the web site, single ply 10 mil with some built in muffling.

Well thats a bit of a whoopsie, eh? I've been using the EQ4 thinking it's a double-ply to go with my G2s which are double-ply. OMG I'm using a single with my doubles! I gotta change that! To the Guitar Center!

Maybe what I will do is get black dots for the tops and bottoms and the front and back of the bass drum with NO muffling. That's always a good sound to use in my church ;)

Lots of folks like the Superkick head. I have been less than impressed with Aquarians as of late but have not tried the SuperKick yet.

I have had the best luck with EMAD's and EQ3's. The EQ3 will bring punch and thump out of your kick drum, no doubt.

Let's just say that I could tell an immediate difference from a standard clear Remo Emperor kick drum head and the EQ3. We're talking floppy to pre-EQ'ed.

Back