How can I get A tom tom to produce overtones as clean as this

C

Cheese

Hi

This is a video of lionel hampton playing a floor tom, he is using several types of rim shots but when ive done a rim shot on drums it has not sounded anything like this tom , it isnt as resonant and you hear too much of the normal sound it would make in an open hit (talking about rim shot where you hit the rim and head at the same time)

Any ideas, both High and floor tom would be ideal, as it makes it more playable.

Last edited:
Forget something?

You have to compare the tuning. Is your floor tom tuned as high as the one in the video? I'll guess the answer is no, because Lionel's floor tom is tuned as high as a normal 12" drum might be. Most of today's drummers tune their toms very low, where there's really little audible resonance. They tune for the mic to hear the head from an inch away... even when they're not mic'd!!

Anyway, tune your toms a bit higher so they sing better, and you'll start getting some nice, ringy, present rimshots. They don't have to be Lionel high, but don't let them thud. You'll find they feel & play and project better as well.

Bermuda

He's also playing all over the head,closer and farther away from the edge,and hitting his sticks together.All of this will result in different sounds.Lets not forget also that it Lionel Hampton.A master of his instrument,who could squeeze all types of sound out of his drums.In this case especially....it's the drummer,and not the drums.

Steve B

That was the tightest floor tom that I have ever heard.
The bottom head must have been set like a snare reso.
Actually, A tom tom style Diplomat on the bottom may be part of the answer.

Back