Custom refinish for Mapex V series

lankyman

Thought I would share with you all a project I have been undertaking for the last few weeks. I brought my V-series from a friend about 4 years ago for $500 which was a steal at New Zealand prices (drum gear is ridiculously expensive here, for example a Meridian Maple will cost you over NZ$2000). The kit was not even a year old at the time and I had read good things about the V-series and liked what I heard. Since then I have added Gibralter hardware, a DW 7000 double-kick, a set a Sabian AAX's, Evan's all round, and a Danny Carey Sig Sonor snare. Basically what I am trying to achieve is a kick-ass live sound for the least $ possible, and believe I have done a pretty good job. However the wrap on the kit has always annoyed me. Basically it's sin ugly, and It's time to do something about it.
I've always been a Mapex man, and my dream kit is a Saturn. Nothing like that deep gloss walnut in my opinion. So with that in mind. I set about stripping of the plastic wrap. This was not an easy task at all, and the method I used was to carefully slice the wrap into strips and pull it off. If you use a heat gun, the glue stays on the wood and is incredibly hard to remove. I then sanded the kit with 120 grit to remove excess glue and finished with 240 grit. Many hours were involved here and I blew up one mouse sander in the process. A Walnut stain was then applied to the basswood and actually brought out some pretty sweet wood grains (see photos). Then I coated it all with about 9 coats of laquer and wet sanded/cut and polished to bring out a reasonably high gloss. Now I'm just waiting on a set of neoprene gaskets I've had made to isolate all the hardware from the shells, then I'll throw it all back together with a new set of skins. All up this job has cost me about $230. Can't wait to see If it sounds any different.

Attachments

• DSCF0026.jpg
    DSCF0026.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 1,346
  • DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSCF0044.jpg
    DSCF0044.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSCF0043.jpg
    DSCF0043.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 1,132
  • DSCF0040.jpg
    DSCF0040.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 1,142
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 1,151
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 1,135
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 1,144
A lot of work, but the end result looks pretty good. That walnut stain looks better than I would have thought on basswood.

That looks good. Make sure to post pictures after you put it all together. Peace and goodwill.

Here's a bit of an update. After a couple of weeks off due to work commitments I have finally got the kit back together. The first few photos show the neoprene gaskets and washers I had made to isolate all the hardware from the shells. Hard to tell if it made any differences as far as tone, as he kit also received a new set of Evans during the rebuild. Sounds mint though! very happy all the hard work paid off.

Attachments

• Last Import - 12.jpg
    Last Import - 12.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,015
  • Last Import - 11.jpg
    Last Import - 11.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Last Import - 13.jpg
    Last Import - 13.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • Last Import - 06.jpg
    Last Import - 06.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Last Import - 02.jpg
    Last Import - 02.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Last Import - 15.jpg
    Last Import - 15.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,084
Nice job on the refinishing :)

Though I more interested in your snare as it looks interesting it isn't the stock snare right?...could you tell us more?

The kit looks great! I can admire anyone that takes the time and dedication to refinish a drum set like you have done as it is a LOT of work that takes a LOT of time!

I know because I removed the yellowed wrap from a Sonor Force 2000 snare fifteen years ago, sanded and stained it then applied a bunch of coats of clear polyurethane. That was a job to me!

Congrats on the "new" kit!

looks good. you and others doing this makes me want to try refinishing an old set. nice job

It looks great. Congrats on the nice job. Enjoy those nice drums and cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

You sure thats basswood? Really looks like birch veneer to me.

Nice work too- color is even over the shells which is a surprise given that they were made to be wrapped.

I outside ply on my Gretsch Catalina natural finish toms is basswood, and it looks quite nice. Peace and goodwill.

Back