Whats new about your New Year?

aydee

Platinum Member
I don't believe in New year resolutions. Most of them are made under the influence or some very fleeting moments of self-righteousness, only to wither away a week later.

What I'd like to know what y'all are going to do for the 1st time ever in 2009?
Are you going to do something this year that you've never done before?

Me, I plan to:

1. Scuba-dive
2. Perform as a trio at least once with my Jazzer 15 year and Metalhead 12 year old.
3. Make up with my brother.

Last edited:
I think you're right, Aydee. I plan to:

i) Learn and perform with Max/MSP and do at least one or two multi-instrumental performances using it (Sing, Bass, Guitar, Drums, Piano etc).

ii) Audition for the Halle Choir (a very, very good choir in Manchester - a friend of mine told me I should audition in September because they need tenors, but we both know in order for me to do this, I'd have to learn to sight-read sheet music).

iii) Read Foucault's 'Madness and Civilisation' and Sartre's 'Being and Nothingness' in time for my exams.

I'll add more as I think about it.

I don't believe in New year resolutions. Most of them are made under the influence or some very fleeting moments of self-righteousness, only to wither away a week later.

That's right. As far as I'm concerned (and I may be in the minority here) the new year is just another number on the calendar, and an excuse for people to get so drunk they can't get out of bed the next day. Same people, same planet, same problems as always.

That's right. As far as I'm concerned (and I may be in the minority here) the new year is just another number on the calendar, and an excuse for people to get so drunk they can't get out of bed the next day. Same people, same planet, same problems as always.

Uhh...

How do you really feel?

:-|

Well,

First thing I did was remain completely sober for the 1st time on New Years in 20 something years. That right there is an accomplishment.. lol.

I really don't know if I'm going to do anything that I never done before.. Honestly, I think that I have done all of the activities I have ever wanted to do or attempt up to this point in my life. I'm sure some new interests will peak. I'll have to get back with ya on that one Abe. :)

I have two major plans for 2009.

- Go skydiving for the first time.
- Run a marathon without stopping (I get nervous just thinking about it)

On a smaller scale, I would like to finish my drum refinishing project, it was delayed because of the winter.

Sometime in the near future I would like to visit a variety of places in the Middle East. I wan't to gather my own opinion on exactly what's going on over there.

- Go skydiving for the first time.

That was absolutely the most amazing experience I ever had besides getting my pilots license. We jumped from 15,000 ft and it was damn cold too.. lol. The hardest part is right at the point where your ready to jump and you look outside and down... holy crap, thats a long way down. You nearly see your life flash before your eyes.

It's worth every penny. Just make sure you go to company that films it too.

That was absolutely the most amazing experience I ever had besides getting my pilots license. We jumped from 15,000 ft and it was damn cold too.. lol. The hardest part is right at the point where your ready to jump and you look outside and down... holy crap, thats a long way down. You nearly see your life flash before your eyes.

It's worth every penny. Just make sure you go to company that films it too.

Cory, that's 3 out of 3 for us. Drums, golf, and skydiving. We should hang out! The 1st time I jumped ( 10,000 ft ), with a mad irishman, we had a serious debate afterwards whether skydiving was actually better than sex. We, in all seriousness concluded that it was. Man, hanging on to the wing strut of a lil' Cessna with 40 pounds of chute on your back and then letting go... Crazy glue secreting out of the palms of my hand... Then my static line opening up the canopy... The silence.. The blue sky...the wind flapping the air cells, floating.. Flying... Free...

Last edited:
Wow...skydiving. I probably won't be doing that but I've learned to never say that something is impossible.

I'm going to:

1. Practice even harder...
2. Begin gigging regularly.
3. Drop these extra 30 lbs.
4. Work on my chronic procrastination disorder.

...amongst other things.

I wont be skydiving any time soon; but I would like to learn how to cook well and be able to sight read at a level six at the paino.

Last edited:

What I'd like to know what y'all are going to do for the 1st time ever in 2009?
Are you going to do something this year that you've never done before?

Me, I plan to:

1. Scuba-dive
2. Perform as a trio at least once with my Jazzer 15 year and Metalhead 12 year old.
3. Make up with my brother.

Abe,

Your #3 may very well fall under the highlighted sentence so lets hear the results of that within this week...EH? I think your #2 would be EXCELLENT and definately want to hear of that...as for me I have always said skydiving, but this year...UMMM I do not know!

I have never been one to do the New Years reso thing but I do know that I will be working harder to become an actual kit player this year...I have done plenty of time on the pad lately just working through the book my instructor has me working in...and that takes up most of my time as far as drums are concerned...I do thump around on my kit, but not like I want to, but I will in time

Back