Les Binks

IAN - W -

Rebel
James Leslie Binks - formerly drummer for Judas Priest, on Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather (as Killing Machine in the United Kingdom) and Unleashed In The East (live) records. He had an strong technical approach with an accomplished heavy metal punch...Deserves to be part of this forum.

Listening to songs such as: Exciter, White Heat-Red Hot, his bass drum kicking it's like a cascanet. His grooving on Saints In Hell it's outstanding.

Appreciate your input, fellows!

Attachments

• Les Binks.jpg
    Les Binks.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17,086
  • priest_binks79.jpg
    priest_binks79.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 11,544
  • Les Binks Hell bent.jpg
    Les Binks Hell bent.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9,822
Great playing on those early Judas Priest albums.

I can't for the life of my figure out why they hired Dave Holland to replace him after Les left.
A total night and day situation.

And given his talent, I'm a bit surprised Les Binks fell off the map after he left Judas Priest.

Les also played a bit of guitar, and helped write a few songs during his time with Preist.

I saw your subject line and thought to myself: "Self, now WHERE have I heard that name before....' Couldn't quite place it but it sure sounded very familiar! Then I read your post and felt I needed to kick myself! I grew up listening to Judas Priest and LOVED those early years! I can't believe I didn't know who you were talking about right away!
I can even venture to say Les Binks was one of many drummers to kick start me into playing the drums!
Good post and addition, Ian!

I read and article about Les Binks, were the rest of Judas Priest members decided to change out direction regarding drumming, because Binks was too technical for them...I was surprised!!!

Yes, mate. He helped Judas Priest to create the song "Beyond The Realms Of Death" it's kind like their Stairway To Heaven. He got some credit for it.

Great playing on those early Judas Priest albums.

I can't for the life of my figure out why they hired Dave Holland to replace him after Les left.
A total night and day situation.

And given his talent, I'm a bit surprised Les Binks fell off the map after he left Judas Priest.

Les also played a bit of guitar, and helped write a few songs during his time with Preist.

Thanks, mate.
I love those old Judas Priest records too, they were so original and unique!!! The first time I heard Les Binks, I was like - I want to play drums like him!!!

I saw your subject line and thought to myself: "Self, now WHERE have I heard that name before....' Couldn't quite place it but it sure sounded very familiar! Then I read your post and felt I needed to kick myself! I grew up listening to Judas Priest and LOVED those early years! I can't believe I didn't know who you were talking about right away!
I can even venture to say Les Binks was one of many drummers to kick start me into playing the drums!
Good post and addition, Ian!

I read and article about Les Binks, were the rest of Judas Priest members decided to change out direction regarding drumming, because Binks was too technical for them...I was surprised!!!

Yes, mate. He helped Judas Priest to create the song "Beyond The Realms Of Death" it's kind like their Stairway To Heaven. He got some credit for it.

Hummm.......I swear I read somewhere he left over money disputes.

Given what Scott Travis does with the band, I can't believe they thought Binks was too technical for them, but then again given who they got to replace him, I guess it is possible.

Money disputes.....that sounds reasonable!

Given what Scott Travis does with the band, I can't believe they thought Binks was too technical for them, but then again given who they got to replace him, I guess it is possible.

Don't forget though that most of the music during the 80's before the Painkiller album was really straigtforward & kinda boring. They went in a hair band direction for awhile. I really like old Judas Priest, Rock a Rolla to Screaming for Vengance and later Priest, Painkiller forward. I like to pretend a few of those mid 80's albums didn't happen.

Yeah, listened to him on Unleashed in the East when I'd just started playing as a kid.

The double-bass drum work for its time sounded out of this world....

Nioce tom fills too I remember

Though I love what Scott Travis is doing, Les' is definitely my favorite Priest drummer. I wore out "Unleashed in the East" trying to copy his licks when I was a teenager. My current band plays several of Priest's Binks era tunes and I always try to remain faithful to his interpretation. I guess If they fired him to go in a new direction ala Dave Holland, they certainly suceeded. I loved Priest in the 80s but I could never stomach Holland's lack-luster playing and atrocious drum sound.

Sidenote: I looked up Dave Holland on the internet to see what he's been doing lately and was suprised to find that he is currently in prison for attempted rape and indecent assault of a teenage boy. Presumably they should add terrible drumming to his list of offeneses. And no this is not a joke.

You have got to listen to the studio versions: Stained Class, Hell Bent For Leather (Killing Machine).....You will enjoy them!

Yeah, listened to him on Unleashed in the East when I'd just started playing as a kid.

The double-bass drum work for its time sounded out of this world....

Nioce tom fills too I remember

Very true.
I read that article and another, regarding Dave Holland attempted rape to a teenage boy when He was teaching him (the boy) drumming classes for a sort of time. An strongly reason for me, not to create a - thread - about Dave Holland.

Back to Les Binks. He is a drummer with an extraordinary determination to play.

Cheers,

Though I love what Scott Travis is doing, Les' is definitely my favorite Priest drummer. I wore out "Unleashed in the East" trying to copy his licks when I was a teenager. My current band plays several of Priest's Binks era tunes and I always try to remain faithful to his interpretation. I guess If they fired him to go in a new direction ala Dave Holland, they certainly suceeded. I loved Priest in the 80s but I could never stomach Holland's lack-luster playing and atrocious drum sound.

Sidenote: I looked up Dave Holland on the internet to see what he's been doing lately and was suprised to find that he is currently in prison for attempted rape and indecent assault of a teenage boy. Presumably they should add terrible drumming to his list of offeneses. And no this is not a joke.

Last edited:
Money disputes.....that sounds reasonable!

Eh...maybe you were right, they felt he was too technical, because now I can't find that quote about money.

And there no interviews with him online that I can find. He's really kept a low profile since leaving Priest. That link you found of "where is he now" is the most I've seen mentioning him.

As for Dave Holland, I followed that case on the net when it happened. Seems to be a lot of "he said, he said" and not a lot of solid evidence, but he was convicted. I do agree with ChrisCirino, his should be charged with bad drumming.

Simon Phillips to Les Binks to Scott Travis, Dave just sticks out like sore thumb in their history.

I saw Les playing a few months ago. He is one of a number of drummers used by ('probably') the best band in this area - Cruisin' Mooses.

Spex

Cruisin' Mooses, must be proud and honoured to have a drummer of the caliber of Les Binks.

I saw Les playing a few months ago. He is one of a number of drummers used by ('probably') the best band in this area - Cruisin' Mooses.

Spex

Back