Injury; Old age or old equipment??

Dazzathedrummer

Hi,

I've been playing regularly for 22 years now, for the past 19 years i've been using the same Premier XPK.

I do around 60 gigs a year ranging from 2x 45min sets to 3x 1 hour sets.

Over the past couple of months I've been getting pain in my left knee (kick drum - i'm a lefty), towards the end of gigs, also, i'm getting lower back pain after I stop playing for about a day after the gig.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

The knee pain is like a tightness from underneath/back of the knee.

I was wondering if it might be time to buy a new pedal, I use a premier strap driven pedal that's as old as the kit, its quite loose and I've always wondered if maybe the strap has stretched and is too long - i'm quite heavy footed and before this pedal I have broken many chains!

Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it's time to get a new pedal. There's a bunch of great pedals these days, and they are LOADS better than what was available 19 years ago.
People have their preferences, but it's best to get your foot on all that you can to make a choice.
Look at your seat height too. It might not be the best height--19 years later.
The seat and pedal are two very important pieces of your kit.

Good luck!

We cannot disgnose your condition. Best to see a DR.

Age and injury creep up on us. During 2009 the right side of my body was numb due to nerve damage. Now I am watching the deterioration of my hard won technique to arthritis. My right ankle is history. My right wrist tonight is killing me enough for me to take 4 Panedine Forte to no effect.

Getting old is such fun.

I'd say time for a new throne. That would my guess as to the back pain.

Pedal straps can stretch over time. But it is possible to buy a new strap.

New pedal and a throne with a backrest.
Trust me, I know.
Fool with the throne height too.
Your problem is a combination of both age and equipment.
Arthritis may have something to do with it. Have a doctor check your condition and evaluate you.

Last edited:
I'd say time for a new throne. That would my guess as to the back pain.

Pedal straps can stretch over time. But it is possible to buy a new strap.

I agree with the new throne!

test some of the new Roc-N-Soc's they are easy on the legs (I have 6 drum seats - 2 of them are Roc-N-Socs, they are the most comfortable)

- from their own web site >> "Ergonomic contoured seat shapes promotes good posture" "Cut-a-way saddle design improves circulation and reduces leg fatigue"

As a back up see a Doc too! some of the new Chiropractors can work wonders.

I think I've solved the problem!!

when KarlCrafton mentioned seat height (my seat is fairly new) - I had a flash back to my son spinning it down a few weeks ago and me saying "no, don't change the height.....oh, never mind".

Then, I had a flash back to the start of my last two gigs where I sat down to play and thought "hmmm, the snare's a bit high, I might have to lower that".

Haha, I'll adjust my seat for the next gig and see how it goes, I think I'll probably look at getting a new pedal anyway as I reckon a modern pedal will be more efficient anyway and probably better for my technique.

I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks guys!

Glad you've made some headway!

One other thing:

Pay attention to your body alignment. Do you point your bass drum forward and have to turn your body/knee/ankle at an un-natural angle to play it? If so, why? Whenever possible I try to face forward and I set up my pedals as if I have a double-bass kit. My legs are in line and my body, symmetrical to the audience, faces forward. If you really need your bass drum to face the crowd there is a wonderful pedal that can facilitate this: http://vectorpedal.com/. It looks strange, but dear lord does it play beautifully! Solid as a battleship too. I'm waiting for him to do a double pedal.

I'll second the throne thing. I've had the best luck with the Pierce Ergo-throne and the SoundSeat, but the Rock n Soc things are great too. Keep your hips above your knees and your lower back straight for sure!

It doesn't take much to pull a muscle behind the knee. I did it getting out of my sons van last winter. I misjudged how high off of the ground I was and landed awkwardly. I wouldn't run right out and buy a new pedal. First I would slow down until the knee heals. and lift wisely so as not to keep you back aching. There is nothing on a new pedal that you can't adjust on the current one. any other new activities lately that may have aggrivated the knee? Rest then try again, but as was said before, see a Doc. Our free advice is worth just that.

After you see a doc to make sure there is nothing physically wrong, you should develop an exercise and stretching program. That may help loosing up the muscles so they don't tighten up on you. The Doc can help you with that. Also drink plenty of water when you play.

Glad you've made some headway!

One other thing:

.........If you really need your bass drum to face the crowd there is a wonderful pedal that can facilitate this: http://vectorpedal.com/. It looks strange, but dear lord does it play beautifully! Solid as a battleship too. I'm waiting for him to do a double pedal.
......!

The Rogers "Big R" drum pedal made many years ago can be set "off angle" to the beater, also - it is a very solid pedal - I own 4 of them - best foot plate and toe stop ever made!!! IMO.

Maybe Vector creators use to own a "Big R" pedal?

I'd be interested in hearing about the results of adjusting the throne height. I set mine very high, because I have long legs and want to have my lower legs as vertical as possible, and take weight off the upper body and back. I also like to set the beater short so I don't have to flex the ankle/foot too much.

Back