Throne seat issue?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Hey Guys,

A week ago a buddy of mine asked me to join a southern rock cover band he's been in for the past year. Been 20 years since I've played the bar scene, been playing for my church the past 16 years which I stepped down from doing about 4 months ago.

Needless to say I'm spending a lot of time behind the kit learning songs the past week. Haven't had many 2 hour practice sessions in a long time. Something odd I noticed the other night and tonight when I was done was my lower legs, especially left leg, feel cold. I'm not losing feeling or anything like it's going to sleep. I'm trying to figure out if it's just from being in my drum room in the basement that stays nice and cool so it's an air temperature thing or if maybe my saddle is indeed cutting off some circulation. I'm using a roc n soc lunar throne with a motorcycle style seat, which is the style of saddle I've used for 15-20 years.

Any of you folks had this issue before? Wondering if I need to go back to a round seat?

never had this issue but to me 'cold' leg means blood flow.
how long does your leg take to warm up?

Try taking a 5 minute break every 20 minutes and see if anything changes.

never had this issue but to me 'cold' leg means blood flow.
how long does your leg take to warm up?

Haven't really timed that part. Have another long practice session today. Trying to learn 42 songs most of which I've heard but never played to before in basically 2 weekends. Have to pay attention to that today.

Is this the same throne you use at home? If not check the height. Are you stressed, tight?

I have the same throne. You have to turn off the "cold leg" switch :)

Which leg gets cold? Do you drum with a wallet in your back pocket? If so remove it. I'm just saying that because with me, the wallet presses on a nerve, and it's not good. I find the saddle type throne is the kindest to the undersides of my thighs.

How's you angle from your hip to your knee when seated at the kit? Is your hi hat and kick set up as ergonomically as possible regarding your legs? Get a full length mirror and play...maybe you can spot something you aren't thinking of.

Heated throne?

Is this the same throne you use at home? If not check the height. Are you stressed, tight?

Yeah these have been at home rehearsals/practice sessions learning the new music. Actually really relaxed. Been a long time since I've sat behind the kit for this length of time

Which leg gets cold? Do you drum with a wallet in your back pocket? If so remove it. I'm just saying that because with me, the wallet presses on a nerve, and it's not good. I find the saddle type throne is the kindest to the undersides of my thighs.

How's you angle from your hip to your knee when seated at the kit? Is your hi hat and kick set up as ergonomically as possible regarding your legs? Get a full length mirror and play...maybe you can spot something you aren't thinking of.

Heated throne?

i think I lost the switch LOL

Left leg is the one that feels it. Kit is setup very ergonomically, not over reaching for anything. No wallets, playing in running shorts. knees are below hips when playing so slight downward angle to the leg

Practice, play a few songs, stand up let the blood flow. Make sure your knees are lower than your hips. Maybe to the extreme until you see iof this works.

Practice, play a few songs, stand up let the blood flow. Make sure your knees are lower than your hips. Maybe to the extreme until you see iof this works.

I'll try that as far as standing up. I've always had my knees lower than my hips when playing . Playing with them at 90* or knees higher than hips has never been comfortable to me. Feels like it takes too much hip involvement to play that way

Heated throne?

Larry, do you have the original or hugger series top

Hey Guys,

A week ago a buddy of mine asked me to join a southern rock cover band he's been in for the past year. Been 20 years since I've played the bar scene, been playing for my church the past 16 years which I stepped down from doing about 4 months ago.

Needless to say I'm spending a lot of time behind the kit learning songs the past week. Haven't had many 2 hour practice sessions in a long time. Something odd I noticed the other night and tonight when I was done was my lower legs, especially left leg, feel cold. I'm not losing feeling or anything like it's going to sleep. I'm trying to figure out if it's just from being in my drum room in the basement that stays nice and cool so it's an air temperature thing or if maybe my saddle is indeed cutting off some circulation. I'm using a roc n soc lunar throne with a motorcycle style seat, which is the style of saddle I've used for 15-20 years.

Any of you folks had this issue before? Wondering if I need to go back to a round seat?

Hey i looked at your post bc i get a lot of back problems sometimes just sitting on my pearl throne. I was going to make a post of how to go about learning songs as a new drummer. I see that you’re trying to learn 40 something songs! That’s amazing tome as i can barely remember how to play one. I want to work ‘use sombody’ by kings of leon and the tom part and fills are killing me. Do you have any tips? Sorry for making this about me right now. Im going to create a new thread but thought you might not see it.

You might try just shifting your throne an inch or so to one side or the other or sitting slightly to the left(hhat side) or to the right. I’m always surprised by what small position changes can hurt!

Larry, do you have the original or hugger series top

IDK. It's a saddle shape top and the lunar base has 5 protrusions for legs and wheels. In addition to the cold leg switch :) I got it like 10 years ago so I'm going with original. Guessing.

So this may indeed be a temperature thing. Not going to lie I like my house cool in the summer! I put on a pair of lightweight soccer style pants last night and played for a couple hours. Leg didn't feel nearly as cold. Going to be playing again today for a few hours so will see if that is truly the case

So this may indeed be a temperature thing. Not going to lie I like my house cool in the summer! I put on a pair of lightweight soccer style pants last night and played for a couple hours. Leg didn't feel nearly as cold. Going to be playing again today for a few hours so will see if that is truly the case

Well this is good news. Beats having a circulation problem.

Back