Bitter Ginger Baker slating Zeppelin and Bonham - again

Understand that: At the time, Led Zeppelin's sound was so outlandish to people that LZ1 won something like "Best R&B Album". Most listeners and musicians had no idea what it was.

GB was a jazz musician with a love for african based rhythm. He was a band leader and composer. His statements are completely accurate from his perspective.

And yes, JP was a far better guitarist than EC. EC's playing was still great, highly influential, and accessible for aspiring guitarists. JP was simply ridiculous.

Nothing new there.

Between him and the late Jack Bruce, I've never encountered two guys more discontent with their own legacies. Both of them have managed to cast the longest of shadows. Their reach and influence has been immense. Yet neither have ever seemed truly secure in their own achievements.

Their continual potshots at their contemporaries display staggering levels of insecurity. How sad to be that gifted and influential, yet so insecure you can't ever move past diminishing your peers.

Admire him as a drummer but not as a person.talks about himself as the greatest ever drummer.

Inflated ego and a half.

Nobody detests political correctness more than I, but if you're gonna be politically incorrect (and please do) then at least be right.

That said, as a metal fan, metal guitarist and metal drummer, I agree with him on probably 90% of metal. The vast majority of it is rubbish.

And I don't think his ego is his problem. Someone with an ego merely boasts about himself. Running others down is a sign of bitterness and self doubt, not ego.

I don't think expressing an opinion makes you bitter... if anything it made him honest and he was dead right in what he said...

What's interesting about all this is my band plays "White Room". Baker's rolls in that song are so boring. It's the same roll over and over and over. I've been told many times that he was a great drummer ... never really heard it myself.

Maybe Ginger's got this "Nice guys finish last" mentality going on. I know a lot of pros say nice things about others, but nobody really remembers what they say that's nice. Here, Ginger is always slagging others and he gets press for it. Genius, if you ask me ;)

The poor man is not in his best mental form. Ginger is what he is. His quirks are part of his charm. Buddy was the same way to a certain extent. Ginger just takes it to a new level.
Beware Mr Baker :)

What's interesting about all this is my band plays "White Room". Baker's rolls in that song are so boring. It's the same roll over and over and over. I've been told many times that he was a great drummer ... never really heard it myself.

Not a fan of his drumming in general but White Room I always thought as Cream's best song. I think he plays for that song, and the fills are orchestral and fit perfectly rather than just trying to demonstrate his chops.

That video is gorgeous. Never heard his trio before.

There must be something wrong with me because I don't see anything likable in his playing.

I keep trying to figure out what it is, but I'm still not understanding it. I get no musical feel from this guy.

There must be something wrong with me because I don't see anything likable in his playing.

I keep trying to figure out what it is, but I'm still not understanding it. I get no musical feel from this guy.

Yup - there is something wrong with you. :)

Any of his jazz solo stuff provides a very convincing argument as to why he is one of the legends.

Heck, even the link that Odd-Arne posted above shows Ginger ripping it up in a very musical fashion.

Ginger is Ginger...not much else needs to be said! He's brash and opinionated, and his opinion of his own drumming is misguided to me, but he's entitled to it. :O

Yup - there is something wrong with you. :)

Any of his jazz solo stuff provides a very convincing argument as to why he is one of the legends.

Heck, even the link that Odd-Arne posted above shows Ginger ripping it up in a very musical fashion.

I just don't hear it, man. I want to. Not that I dislike his playing, it's cool how he plays organically and all of that.

I personally like Gingers drumming. you can hear all the Jazz and African influences in it.

Regarding his opinions I am surprised nobody has mentioned mental illness yet.

Back