Sticks keep hitting together

Im a new drummer. I was rehearsing some material last night and the piece im trying to play my sticks keep hitting together.. Is it me? Is it how i have the snare and hihat positioned? Is this somthing that i need to work out?

its only on certain pieces i play that my sticks hit each other.. Any opinions. I adjusted my hihat and snare ever way i could :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Locate your hihat in such a way that you do not have to cross your sticks to play it. If you cross your sticks, it is predictable that they will hit each other. Most drummers compensate for this by upstroking the top stick ridiculously high to make way for the lower stick upstroke, but to me it looks odd and still invites collisions.

It could be a number of things. Throne height, drum/cymbal setup, stick grip, posture, etc. Video would be helpful. If you're taking lessons have your instructor help you anayze the problem.

Tell your sticks they are fully grown up and they have to stop fighting like children, it might do the trick.

Lack of experience.....in both playing mechanics and set up preferance. These things take time.

Remember, you do have a shocking habit of stressing out over things you're very new at. More so than any other player of three weeks standing that I've ever met before.

You have a teacher, sounds like he's competant and doing the right thing by you. I reckon it's high time you started chillin' out and just enjoying the ride mate.........or am I confusing you with another new player who stresses relentlessly? :)

Try slowing the part where you hit your sticks together down to a very slow tempo. At a slow tempo you should be able to see for yourself where it is exactly within the beat that your sticks are hitting one another. With a little time and patience you'll figure it out on your own and it will cease to be a problem.
If your still having a hard time finding a technique that gets you around the stick hitting together problem. Get on youtube and look up some of the drummers that you admire and study their hand/arm, hi hat, snare, and drum throne position.
Just remember to slow down and analyze.

Im a new drummer. I was rehearsing some material last night and the piece im trying to play my sticks keep hitting together.. Is it me? Is it how i have the snare and hihat positioned? Is this somthing that i need to work out?

It'll sort itself out over time-- more experienced players don't tend to have that problem. Just make sure there's nothing weird going on with your set up-- your left foot should be in a comfortable position, with the pedal not too close to you. Playing from the elbow, especially your left, tends to make it worse; that's kind of a universal thing with beginners. Using more wrist will help. You can also raise the hihat a little higher, but I think you should check your technique first.

its only on certain pieces i play that my sticks hit each other.. Any opinions. I adjusted my hihat and snare ever way i could :(
I’m a new drummer too (couple of months) and it‘s happening to me as well. It’s quite frustrating and annoying but the advice above seems to make sense so I guess I’ll have a mess around with the position of my kit and throne and see if I can work out what I’m doing wrong.

Well, you don't really describe what you are doing when your sticks hit each other except to say that it happens while playing your hi hat and snare. So, it sounds like your sticks hit as you play the hi hat with your right hand and your snare with your left, the classic cross over that most right handed players use. If that is the case, one reason could very simply be that your snare is too high and your hi hat too low. There needs to be plenty of room for each hand to maneuver up and down which means the hi hat has to be a fair amount higher than the snare. You may want to start by setting the snare at a height that allows you to hit a rim shot without your hand hitting your thigh. Then set your hi hat up about a foot to a foot and a half higher than that. So you can go that route or you can learn how to play open handed where you play the hi hat with your left hand and your snare with your right. You're a new drummer so now is the time to figure out your overall approach. Frankly, I wish I could play more open handed and have started to try and learn that. But I'm an old fart and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. You are just starting out so you are pretty much a blank canvas as they say.

Without seeing it I will just suggest moving the hats back, the snare forward and make a height difference of at least 8 inches.

When resurrecting ancient threads, PLEASE make note of it. Too many zombie threads popping up lately, and not everyone checks the dates.

Back