Need Help with new heads (beginner)

HOUSTON 94

I bought a generic kit of craigslist with the following: groove percussion 12,13,16 toms and 22 bass drum. A 14 mapex snare. Sabian B8 14 hi-hats (which SUCK) on a new ludwig stand. A 16 Paiste crash (not sure which model. the numbers dont look like an models ive seen) and a 20 zildjian ride which sits on 2 new pearl stands. And a tama throne. I also bought a double bass pedal to go with it.

The toms had tape on them to give them a distinct sound but I dont think they were properly tuned so Im looking for new heads so I can tune them correctly (the snare head is a coated remo and is pretty tore up). What heads should I buy for rock/metal? The tom heads have a few dents and the resos and bass heads are the stock GP heads. Im probably going to get batter and resos if its not too expensive. The heads are all clear remos and the make is mostly blurred out from use; it has ing at the end and maybe a v or w at the beginning.

So, give your input on any heads you think I should buy. Preferably in a pack with at least the 3 tom heads. I also have another question. My hi-hats and ride sound almost unbearable so what brand/models should I get to replace them?
Thank you for any help in advance

For rock/metal a great place to start would be Evans G2 over G1 on the toms, Genera Dry or Genera HD Dry over Hazy 300 on the snare, and an EMAD or EMAD2 on the bass. (Or the equivalent heads from other companies). For a more muffled, punchier and shorter sustained sound you can try EC2 (or the equivalent heads from other companies).

As for cymbals, let your ears decide. Try out as many cymbals within your price range as you can, and figure out which ones sound best to you.

Im thinking about either getting evans ec2/g1 with genera dry/hazy 300 or remo smooth emperors/remo resos (i think theyre ambassadors) with emp x snare head. The remos will be cheaper because they come with snare heads but which should I buy?

BTW, musicians friend is having a sale on heads, sticks, and other accesories. Thats why I want to make a decision quickly
Should I get heads or 2 wuhan chinas and hardware (14" 16")? Buying batter and resos for all my drums -bass would be about the price of the chinas

Last edited:
Back