DW 5000 and 7000 pedals

hingeman

O.k. I'm an avid DW pedal guy, they feel good and being DW drum owner as well, it seemed the right thing to do, but this is where i want to hear from ALL of you. Do yiou own a DW pedal? Are you using it? How many times have you had to replace the hinge? Is it laying in the closet with broken hinges? Ever wonder why they would build a cool pedal and put a piece of crud hinge on the most imortant part of the pedal.?
Well, I have asked this question many times while sitting there looking at the mountain of DW pedals I have bought, and begining to steam over the fact that I have to use my back up single pedal, a Tama swingstar pedal from the time when ameba and this Tama pedal was created, My buddy Mike asked me if i rescued it from a fire! It looks like it but i have to say, that Pile O' Crud has got me through every gig that my 200.00 plus dw pedal hasn't. FAIL! Why? yup, the hinge. My final question is, do you like your DW pedals enough to bring them back to life? I have designed a hinge built from the Highest grade of Aerospace grade aluminum. It is retro'd to fit the 7000 and the 9000. there's is NO slop side to side and it is way thicker where it needs to be, this won't break, I 'm a big boy and weigh in around 286. It takes the abuse that a working player needs when they'ere on the road, in studio, etc. I have only built the prototype and before I invest a ton of time and money into these, I want to know from the people that matter, you, the drummers that needs his or her gear to operate when you you are working. Would you buy a dw replacement hinge (11.00,for a 7000 and 30.00 for the 5000) if you could find one, or would you buy one gauranteed to perform, built like a tank and can take the rigours of the road for 39.99? Everybody i know personally wants a set. I'm only trying to help the drum world with a valid fix to a more than real problem. I'm also working on personalized foot boards as well, I will be delving into my own design soon also.I have some great ideas and can't wait to get to them!, but let's fix the hundreds of dollars of pedals collecting dust now.
Thanks for your time!

O.k. I'm an avid DW pedal guy, they feel good and being DW drum owner as well, it seemed the right thing to do, but this is where i want to hear from ALL of you. Do yiou own a DW pedal? Are you using it? How many times have you had to replace the hinge? Is it laying in the closet with broken hinges? Ever wonder why they would build a cool pedal and put a piece of crud hinge on the most imortant part of the pedal.?
Well, I have asked this question many times while sitting there looking at the mountain of DW pedals I have bought, and begining to steam over the fact that I have to use my back up single pedal, a Tama swingstar pedal from the time when ameba and this Tama pedal was created, My buddy Mike asked me if i rescued it from a fire! It looks like it but i have to say, that Pile O' Crud has got me through every gig that my 200.00 plus dw pedal hasn't. FAIL! Why? yup, the hinge. My final question is, do you like your DW pedals enough to bring them back to life? I have designed a hinge built from the Highest grade of Aerospace grade aluminum. It is retro'd to fit the 7000 and the 9000. there's is NO slop side to side and it is way thicker where it needs to be, this won't break, I 'm a big boy and weigh in around 286. It takes the abuse that a working player needs when they'ere on the road, in studio, etc. I have only built the prototype and before I invest a ton of time and money into these, I want to know from the people that matter, you, the drummers that needs his or her gear to operate when you you are working. Would you buy a dw replacement hinge (11.00,for a 7000 and 30.00 for the 5000) if you could find one, or would you buy one gauranteed to perform, built like a tank and can take the rigours of the road for 39.99? Everybody i know personally wants a set. I'm only trying to help the drum world with a valid fix to a more than real problem. I'm also working on personalized foot boards as well, I will be delving into my own design soon also.I have some great ideas and can't wait to get to them!, but let's fix the hundreds of dollars of pedals collecting dust now.
Thanks for your time!

Gosh! Why haven't you posted sooner??
I have 2 broken DW pedals. Ones a 5000, and the other is a 7000! I was actually about to throw them away. But if I could fix them, I would defintley try to do so. Keep the 5000, and sell the 7000.
Any way I can buy some of your broken DW's?

You know, some people have problems with these DW pedals, and others will swear theirs is good as new. It depends on how you play, I guess. I tend to dance on the pedals, other people slam or stomp on them, so longevity will be different depending on who you talk to.

I experienced the same thing with my Tama pedals: I've never had to fix anything and owning TWO Iron Cobra Jrs, I've never had to use my spare. I've had my hinge on my DW's start getting loose and sloppy and once I had to replace the hinge within a year. After I replaced it, I began to try other pedals - I'm not that loyal to DW. I just want stuff to work - I don't play that hard. When I played a Ludwig Speed King, nothing ever went wrong with that pedal. Yet, these DW's seem to have all these owners fixing little things on them. Makes you wonder...

Hey Joey, Well, Since the design of the hinges, Mine work now as well so i don't want to trash them. I guess what I want to know is, If i built a hundred sets, is there going to be a market for a retrofit part, I'm not setting out to get rich.....on this. lol. But it's a service to DW pedal guiys that like the pedal and have a surplus of useless junk sitting there. My hinges are all aerospace grade aluminum, I build each one to order and i garauntee that they won't break like the original. If you look at the design, which is pathetic at best, you'll see that the hinge floats above the floor board and every time you put heavy preasure on the pedal, it flexes just a small amount, on that low grade material, it's only a matter of time untill your investment is hit the scrap pile and GC gets another sale! That in itself is worth buying an after market product just so they don't get your $$$
I'm also doing doing customized foot boards, your design, my design, your name, band name, I will have them available for most pedals, not just DW. There is also a new bass drum pedal in the works right now and because i know what I would want from a pedal both action and durability, I'm pulling all the stops and it might even do your dishes too. But untill then, that's why we have GF's. Let me know if i can help you with some hinges and i'll shoot yhou some pics. Thanks again.
DroVeto, Must be nice! lol.I;'m 6' and 285 and I beat my drums like a pimp treats a ho that owes him money! The pedals just don't last for me, but i would probably break too if you saw how big my leg is. All of my friends that have DW's have a stock pile of busted hinges. So again, it's mostly a service to right a wrong by DW. Tghanks for the input guys. rock on!

I have an IC and it's a solid pedal. The spring jumps off now and again, but like you said, it depends on your level of agression. I guess I'm pretty p.o.ed' lol. If tyhere was something to fix it so you don't have to get it fixed every year, it's worthing getting. i would have bought these a long time ago if it was available. i really don't care all that much for standing in front of the machine! =) Rather be having a beer and jammin'.......until........THE HINGE BREAKS!!! and there you have it. I'll be posting some pics soon of the new pedal I'm working on and of course the hinges and pedal boards as well. Thanks again for your input.

Hey Bo, I almost forgot..... Speed King! I loved those, as well the Ghost, but i couldn't keep a speed king together for the life of me, I really do love them too. Castings and pot maetal is poor choice of materials, but what a great pedal. it was the pedal of chopice for many years! I'm still a major ludwig fan, but i play a Mapex kit to work. Sounds good and if it gets stolen or spontaneously cumbusts, I'm still sleeping well that night and won't need any um.....more. therapy.

Hey Joey, Well, Since the design of the hinges, Mine work now as well so i don't want to trash them. I guess what I want to know is, If i built a hundred sets, is there going to be a market for a retrofit part, I'm not setting out to get rich.....on this. lol. But it's a service to DW pedal guiys that like the pedal and have a surplus of useless junk sitting there. My hinges are all aerospace grade aluminum, I build each one to order and i garauntee that they won't break like the original. If you look at the design, which is pathetic at best, you'll see that the hinge floats above the floor board and every time you put heavy preasure on the pedal, it flexes just a small amount, on that low grade material, it's only a matter of time untill your investment is hit the scrap pile and GC gets another sale! That in itself is worth buying an after market product just so they don't get your $$$
I'm also doing doing customized foot boards, your design, my design, your name, band name, I will have them available for most pedals, not just DW. There is also a new bass drum pedal in the works right now and because i know what I would want from a pedal both action and durability, I'm pulling all the stops and it might even do your dishes too. But untill then, that's why we have GF's. Let me know if i can help you with some hinges and i'll shoot yhou some pics. Thanks again.
DroVeto, Must be nice! lol.I;'m 6' and 285 and I beat my drums like a pimp treats a ho that owes him money! The pedals just don't last for me, but i would probably break too if you saw how big my leg is. All of my friends that have DW's have a stock pile of busted hinges. So again, it's mostly a service to right a wrong by DW. Tghanks for the input guys. rock on!

Could you send me some pics, and pricing on the new hinge?

Could you send me some pics, and pricing on the new hinge?
Sure, as soon as i get them. i don't have a camera right now, mine got dropped and the shutter and screen went on the fritz, so i completely disassembled it and packed it into the box, I thought it might be fun to send it back to Cannon and see if they can fix it. lol
I've only made one proto type set to see how they would hold up, so far they are smokin'. They have such a fine clearence that there is virtually no slop in the left to right axis, up and down is smooth like it should be, again no slop on the up and down movement either. I want to be able to anodyze the finished product as well in a coupkle different colors, but i will probably use gold to start with. The BD Retro Hinge is destined to be life changing in every sense of the word.....or, it will at least make your pedal happening again though worry free of hinge failure.
Price is 39.99 plus shipping. money back if you don't like the product....but you will, Hopefully, this wil get out and DW wil see the error in their ways. =) the hinge fits both 7000 and 5000 pedals. I have an idea for the 5000 to have the conector pin to ride on sealed bearings. This will make them faster for sure, less drag is a good thing.

@ Gruntersdad.MFis a temporary fix to a permanent problem. I guess my point was to fix it and be done with it. Musicians friend has the stock replacement hinge, for like 10.99 for the 5000 and 29.00 for the 5000. They are still built with the same sub standard material. They say that the definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing repeatedly and expect a different result. I've bought a couple hinges for the 7000 and 5000 is a crap design so i didn't bother, my hinge design works on both and it is far superior to the factory hinge. I'm just a guy trying to help fellow players dial in their gear with a quality piece. I stand there and make them myself, I'll send you pics of the stock one and the retro and you can make your assessment. I would love to have your opinion on it. I am a working pro and want good, dependeable gear and since I put my name on it, it's going to be stout. =) For the record, i am not here to sell them, I want to know if i make a bunch of them, is anybody interested in fixing their pedals with a dependable part.
Thanks again guys!

I've had a DW 5000 since about 2005 and I've never once had any kind of issue with it. I don't play hard now, but I was in a heavy band for a while and did a few dozen gigs with them. Never had any problems with it. Never had a problem with my Pearl P-100s either (I owned a single and own a P100 double) so maybe I just have good luck with pedals!

The 5000 has a little different design than the 7000. I wish I could say the same. Big legs I guess, My buddy Mike has a few sets of pedals that has the same problem, Dennis has one pedal, etc, and they are just local guys in Temecula.

So, in sumation, for those who dropped in on the thread and answered, Thanks! Hinges.... would you buy garaunteed replacement that won't break and are slop free? What about custom foot boards with what you want on it, (art work, name, different grip or polished)?. And then rigs to connect double pedals to the hihat stand for no movement stability? I've been a machinist for years and a musician for many more than that. I want to offer inovations to drummers that have real life situations. I'm not so much trying to pedal (no pun itnended) my already built parts, I want to figure out if I'm having a pipe dream here! I will also work with you in design and production of one off ideas you have. Thanks guys for your input, it is greatly appreciated. You can always contact me through Wild West Guitars as well. Thanks again!
Bob

So, in sumation, for those who dropped in on the thread and answered, Thanks! Hinges.... would you buy garaunteed replacement that won't break and are slop free? What about custom foot boards with what you want on it, (art work, name, different grip or polished)?. And then rigs to connect double pedals to the hihat stand for no movement stability? I've been a machinist for years and a musician for many more than that. I want to offer inovations to drummers that have real life situations. I'm not so much trying to pedal (no pun itnended) my already built parts, I want to figure out if I'm having a pipe dream here! I will also work with you in design and production of one off ideas you have. Thanks guys for your input, it is greatly appreciated. You can always contact me through Wild West Guitars as well. Thanks again!
Bob

Not sure about designs on the foot board. sounds like a waste of $ and no one will see it.

Back