something i never understood

One thing I know about playing in bands. It's easy to put a band together what's hard is

keeping a band together (issues,conflicts,chicks,etc.) oops did I chicks LOL.

Bonzolead

I should start a thread called 'Why drummers feel the need to generalize other musicians'.

Sounds like a bunch of you need to find bandmates that respect you and your abilities. Then again, those are hard to come by sometimes. I personally hate players who will call you out on any mistake.

If you listen to dance stuff where the drum grooves are sampled, a lot of the time the music is really happening, because the drums are so strong. Listen a little more carefully, though, and often everything floating on top of that groove is mediocre.
I listen carefully all the time, and there are times when that mediocrity floating on top of your groove is a presumptive guitar player who doesn't listen to his drummer because he doesn't think he needs to.

I agree that the same criticisms I outlined can be applied to all musicians, regardless of what they play, but drums really are the most important instrument in a rhythm section. They make or break music IMO, and if they're good they can also make poor musicians sound better...and inspire the good ones.
And who makes that designation? You? Show me where it says the guitarist decides the quality issues regarding who's good and who isn't. Unless you're the guy handing out money at the end of the gig, the drummer has just as much say in the matter. And because a lot of drummers are simply nice guys doesn't change that. This is why I'm just not in favor of these so called equal say bands. 99% of the time, if it's a rock or metal band, and there's a guitarist within 2 miles, he just naturally assumes he's running the show. And if you started giving me some of these opinions in a band where I was paying you, I'd be looking for another guitarist.

Longfuse, I'm a little tough with you right now because you appear to be the guitar stereotype that I think a lot of drummers should stop obsessing about. Can you imagine what would happen if a drummer joined a guitar forum, and started talking as arrogantly and authoritatively as you? There would be a riot, and I think you know that.

Aren't you the same guy who also left this little wisdom about brush playing?

Small circles = quiet
Large circles = loud

It's as simple as that.

The fact that no one corrected your generalization, didn't make it any less naive. It's just that most times drummers as a whole mind their business, and merely shake their heads when they listen to some guitarists' inability to play complimentary substitutions, lock in with their bandmates, or /my favorite/ how they use distorted excessive volume to cover poor intonation. I also believe drummers should contribute equally to the sound of their group via equal instructive input, and the only reason that often goes wanting is because drummers sometimes believe it's not their place. IMO, that's a pov that needs to go away. Maybe then we can stop hearing drummers whine about how everyone perceives them.

I play a number of instruments

I truly doubt that. I've yet to hear a single person who publicly advertised that distinction off the cuff like that, who really could. But your presumptive belief in that assertion is why you feel you can come to a drum forum and lecture.

I think that's why so many drummers get bad press.
Maybe it's because guitar players are writing the articles. That too needs to change.

Geez drummers, stand up for yourselves.

Last edited:
well said matt

how would you define someone who plays multiple instruments becasue i know plently who are (very) high standars on more than one instrument?

i know it sounds wierd but i never get why guitarists and bassists complain about drummers so much and why any musician you talk to will call drummers a "special breed" it always seemed odd, maybe its hard to see it looking at other people like myself

I think it's either jelousy OR i think all the things about a drummer is pointing towards that we are very different to the other members of the band. For example, The drummer is the only person is the band that has many different bits to his/her kit like cymbals, toms, hardware etc.
And another is that mostly (I don't know about you guys) the drummer sits behind or away from the others not very far away but they are not at the front or in the middle splitting the other band members apart.
And another more personal side some guitarists feel that the song orientates around them.. like if the guitarist speed up and then everyone else does apart from the drummer who is ment to keep time and does not speed up at the end it is there fault...

So i think the answer to your question is that the drummer is the most individual person in the band so it's easy to ridicual, like the person with ginger hair at a school.

HOWEVER Lots of band does not have this problem, my band does not an many others im sure don't so it depends on the type of people in the band ....

Tris

I would never be in a band with many of the personality types described here. I just joined a band that dumped a drummer who, I'm told A) had no sense of dynamics, B) yelled at other members to communicate, and C) got worse when he drank, which was apparently often.

But the rest of the band is a bunch of hard working guys who are happy to WORK TOGETHER...with the drummer to make sure that the dynamics, changes, fills, beat, etc. fit the music.

This is my third band, and, maybe I'm lucky, but from Berklee grads to duffers like me, everyone who stayed was a TEAM player, pleasant to hang with, and personable.

IMO: there are a**holes playing on every instrument; avoid them like the plague!

Last edited:
An example of it, were the fights and arguments between Ian Paice (drummer) and Ritchie Blackmore (guitarist) of Deep Purple. By the way, Ian Gillan (singer) always backed up Ian Paice.

All The Best,
As you probably know from personal experience, the Ian in the band is usually the most level-headed and when there's more than one, pick the one who wears the glasses.

I listen carefully all the time, and there are times when that mediocrity floating on top of your groove is a presumptive guitar player who doesn't listen to his drummer because he doesn't think he needs to.

And who makes that designation? You? Show me where it says the guitarist decides the quality issues regarding who's good and who isn't. Unless you're the guy handing out money at the end of the gig, the drummer has just as much say in the matter. And because a lot of drummers are simply nice guys doesn't change that. This is why I'm just not in favor of these so called equal say bands. 99% of the time, if it's a rock or metal band, and there's a guitarist within 2 miles, he just naturally assumes he's running the show. And if you started giving me some of these opinions in a band where I was paying you, I'd be looking for another guitarist.

Longfuse, I'm a little tough with you right now because you appear to be the guitar stereotype that I think a lot of drummers should stop obsessing about. Can you imagine what would happen if a drummer joined a guitar forum, and started talking as arrogantly and authoritatively as you? There would be a riot, and I think you know that.

Aren't you the same guy who also left this little wisdom about brush playing?

The fact that no one corrected your generalization, didn't make it any less naive. It's just that most times drummers as a whole mind their business, and merely shake their heads when they listen to some guitarists' inability to play complimentary substitutions, lock in with their bandmates, or /my favorite/ how they use distorted excessive volume to cover poor intonation. I also believe drummers should contribute equally to the sound of their group via equal instructive input, and the only reason that often goes wanting is because drummers sometimes believe it's not their place. IMO, that's a pov that needs to go away. Maybe then we can stop hearing drummers whine about how everyone perceives them.

I truly doubt that. I've yet to hear a single person who publicly advertised that distinction off the cuff like that, who really could. But your presumptive belief in that assertion is why you feel you can come to a drum forum and lecture.

Maybe it's because guitar players are writing the articles. That too needs to change.

Geez drummers, stand up for yourselves.

Nice!
What a post....killin em....

Back