Fog Machine???

tbmills

Gold Member
what is a good fog machine to get?
should we spend $20? $50? $100?

all of the ones weve looked at have some bad reviews. all we want it something that does the job and is reliable.

what do you recommend?
what have you used?

Brother, it all depends on what you want.

How big of venues do you want to fog up? What do you want the fog to look like- do you want it to be an ominous cloud, a mist near the floor, or just a general ambiance? They make different foggers for different prices that do different things.

For what it's worth, I've had great results with Halloween foggers. They're cheap (especially on Nov 1) and they generally do a good job. If you can, grab 2- one for each side of the stage.

OK, now for the fun part. If you want the billowing cloud of fog, let it run stock. Be aware that sometimes the fog will actually block people's view of you. If you want general ambiance, just put an inexpensive fan in front of the fog spout. It will disperse the fog more quickly and you won't have so much of a cloud.

If you want the fog to stay low, well, there's the dry ice method... but if you want to use the same fog machine, you might try building a fog chiller- that's all the "pro" level low lying fog machines do, anyway.

Now, if you're looking to fog a big location, or if you want a lot of fog pumped constantly, the Halloween guys won't cut it. At that point, you'll want to look into something like an American DJ Fog Hog.

it should be the same size room that we discussed earlier; room 30' wide x 60' deep - stage 20' wide x 15' deep. and we just want something that the light can catch...

by the way, we are getting 4x par 64s to start with and are going to setup some simple colored lighting. the fog will just light the air and should look good.

it should be the same size room that we discussed earlier; room 30' wide x 60' deep - stage 20' wide x 15' deep. and we just want something that the light can catch...

by the way, we are getting 4x par 64s to start with and are going to setup some simple colored lighting. the fog will just light the air and should look good.

Be careful with those 64s. They suck a TON of wattage. Unless you play a lot of concert halls, know that your venues will not be expressly setup to handle the wattage a full complement of lights puts out.

fog machines, eh?

my new band's first gig is going to be a rendition of Rush's Tom Sawyer at our high school's talent show

and we were thinking about making it epic, and have fog machines and a light show

but then we're like "wait... that would take a lot of time, money, and effort"

and so we decided to just hang a Rush banner from our keyboardist's keyboard stand instead.

A really cool way to get the fog on stage without looking like you have to hide it is making the fog come out of the port in the bass drum head. Although you would have to take off your whole bass drum head to get it in.

I have always used Le Maitre fog machines and hazers. They also have a huge line of Pyro products too.

Don't spend more than $100 on that, or your stupid.

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to get enough fog for an arena, $20 Halloween jobs aren't gonna cut it.

For most of us, however, the cheapies will work.

I must admit, though, that I bought a Halloween fogger this year and was sorely disappointed in the amount of fog it put out. It also may have been the department store fog fluid, though. Somehow I misplaced a gallon of commercial-grade fog solution and had to buy the consumer-grade junk. The high quality stuff lasts a LOT longer and creates thicker fog.

Im just saying, its not as important as back-up heads and sticks.
If your gigging that is.

If two bands are musically equal, the one with the better show will always win out.

If a band with a great show is musically inferior to another band with little show, the great show band will often still win out. Non-musicians listen to live music to be entertained. Entertainment sometimes involves only playing superior music, and sometimes needs more as part of that package.

If two bands are musically equal, the one with the better show will always win out.

If a band with a great show is musically inferior to another band with little show, the great show band will often still win out. Non-musicians listen to live music to be entertained. Entertainment sometimes involves only playing superior music, and sometimes needs more as part of that package.

Okay, I agree with that.
But whats worse for a gig? :
1.) Your fog Machine won't work.
or
2.) You break your snare head/sticks, during a song, and have no back up.?

You tell me

Back