Who Remembers Istanbul K's?

P

plangentmusic

THis may have been addressed before -- but I'm new. : ) So...

To most drummers, K cymbals are the ones with the big "K" on them, but ask most anyone who remembers the original Istanbul cymbals and they'll tell you -- they sound nothing alike.

A few years back when the Constantinople line came out I was thrilled because they were the closest I've ever heard to the original K's. I'm not sure what the consensus is on them now but at the time Manny's in NYC couldn't get rid of them and they were on sale for 100 bucks. (Grabbed me a nice 20" ride).

I still think they're best for a specific style -- then one which we're used to hearing -- small band post bop jazz -- Elvin with Trane, Tony with Miles -- they're dirty and trashy and wonderful.

But I'd still like one of those Instanbul's. They were special. But not THIS special! http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Zildjian...Percussion&hash=item2c66109b65#ht_1196wt_1398

I do and I have a ride and hi-hats. For as many good ones there were bad ones.

It is indeed the sound many people still seem to chase which is where the Turkish companies like Istanbul and Bosphorus try to accommodate with some of their lines and some cases do one amazing job at it.

Unless I find them at major discount prices, I never chase the Old K market any longer because of Bosphorus.

That's what I understand-- there were a lot of bad ones-- I remember this quote from Ronald Shannon Jackson about the K warehouse at the Gretsch factory-- "after Elvin and Tony and those guys had picked their way through, there wasn't much left." I always wonder what happened to all of them, since we're not awash in garbage Ks. I guess maybe they got sold for scrap eventually?

Prices have skyrocketed in the last few years-- $750-1500 seems to be the general range-- $3400 is pretty extreme. Then again, you get people spending ridiculous bread on serious mouthpieces and bass bows all the time. But I think with all of the incredible cymbals out there today you should be able to find many things at least as good as that particular K for under $500.

As nice as that sounds, it's not like you can't get that sound anymore. It's not that magical, it's just a cymbal.

On an unrelated note, I listened to that sound sample, and they're BURNIN' that Wayne Shorter tune! Yeah!

On a not-unrelated note, that's an outrageous price even for an Old K.

When I said "THIS special" I was referring to the PRICE! Yeah, it sounds great, but that's ridiculous.

I remember them well and never had the ride I wanted. Still don't.

Last year there was a drum event (forgot the name) where drummers across the country
would play the same beat at the same time to set a record. I showed up along with my kit
along with about 75 other drummers to join in the fun. (It was great meeting everyone and
seeing/playing their equipment). There was a teenage kid next to me that had a 22" old
K TO DIE FOR!!! I couldn't get over it. It was THE ONE I have always wanted. He had no idea
what he had but wasn't interested in selling/swapping/trading etc.

I might push down some elderly people and children with careless abandon if that cymbal was on the other side waiting for me

my brother had a set of Istanbul Ks that came with his late 50s Slingerland kit that my parents bought from a neighbor when he was a kid .......which was the first kit I ever touched...still have it in pieces in my moms basement

in junior high I lent the cymbals to a drummer friend not thinking anything of it and I cant remember if I ever got them back....

since seeing this post a couple days ago I have been trying to contacting people I have not talked to in many years trying to track those cymbals down

...I feel like smashing my head through a friggin wall right now

I might push down some elderly people and children with careless abandon if that cymbal was on the other side waiting for me

my brother had a set of Istanbul Ks that came with his late 50s Slingerland kit that my parents bought from a neighbor when he was a kid .......which was the first kit I ever touched...still have it in pieces in my moms basement

in junior high I lent the cymbals to a drummer friend not thinking anything of it and I cant remember if I ever got them back....

since seeing this post a couple days ago I have been trying to contacting people I have not talked to in many years trying to track those cymbals down

...I feel like smashing my head through a friggin wall right now

Wishing you Luck in tracking them down!

Back