First Set - Base Set ?

unsider

Well, I've been wanting to play the drums for quite some time, and I've finally managed to come up with the money.

This will be my first set, but I'd like it to be a quality set that will last me a while, primarily the base (snare, toms, kick, etc...) cymbals will be replaced soon after I'm sure.

I'm highly influenced by drummers like Danny Carey, etc.. if that gies you an idea, and my price range is anywhere from $400-$800.

So what would you recommend for me?

In That price range you can find some very nice mid range kits with decent cymbals used. Check Ebay and Craigslist. But you could score some gretsch, mapex, ludwig maple drums most likely, and if you are planning on getting a set that looks like Danny Carey's eventually (Specs wise) then you may want a color that you can easily add drums too. A basic, white, black or something common anyway.

So what brand would you recommend? Mapex, Ludwig, Tama, Getsch, etc..?

I'm also highly into the Drum and Bass sound as well...

I would second getting a neutral color. That's how I expanded my first "mishmash" kit when I was in the Navy. Nothing matches like black or white.

As far as combining the influences of drum 'n bass with Danny Carey's style, I would imagine a standard 1-up 2-down with a tiny add-on tom (8 or 10") up top, and eventually add a 16 or 18" remote bass off of your main kick, since most D&B patterns tend to favor tight single bass action, and you can use a double pedal for your main kick. If you set the toms up reasonably tight enough, you will be able to focus your D&B stuff on the smaller rack and floor toms, and maybe even throw a smaller side snare or two for good measure (even brand new these can be quite reasonable). The end result will be kind of elaborate, but you can start with a simple 5-pc. and build it as you go fairly easily and inexpensively (think PAWN SHOP).

I would start with an average sized 5-pc., since that will get you the big drum sizes (like your 22" kick) out of the way in one package. Once you've got that, the smaller drums you would need to get those other tones will be small and thus cheaper.

Danny Carey, if he's your hero, then you know, packs a lot of his "voodoo" in his Mandala drums. And he has 9 of them (last I counted). His base kit. 2 up, 2 down. Double kicks. Watch this auction here: http://cgi.ebay.com/SONOR-FORCE-300...ryZ38097QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem see where it goes. Top of the line a few years back, for the Force series. Add a second floor tom, and second kick, at a later point in time, you'll be bangin'. Yamaha, Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, Mapex, etc., all make competitive kits, in whatever price range you happen to be at.

I can always appreciate others responses to questions like this but I always say the same thing. It's going to be your kit and your going to have to live with your purchase. If you buy something based on others opinions you might find yourself disappointed down the road. You need to try to get as much listening time as you can on the kits you are considering purchasing and find what sound it is that you enjoy. Different woods give off different sounds and you need to experience them each to form your best decision.

I know that this has been said thousands of times here on the forum, but I really think its the best advice.

I can always appreciate others responses to questions like this but I always say the same thing. It's going to be your kit and your going to have to live with your purchase. If you buy something based on others opinions you might find yourself disappointed down the road. You need to try to get as much listening time as you can on the kits you are considering purchasing and find what sound it is that you enjoy. Different woods give off different sounds and you need to experience them each to form your best decision.

I know that this has been said thousands of times here on the forum, but I really think its the best advice.

At the same time, don't let yourself be scared off if you can't listen to the drums. A lot of us tend to get a bit "drum snobby" and start talking about the "sound" of the wood and all that. Truth is, if this is your first set, you won't have any preexisting preferences and you'll definitely be able to make it sound good. It might be dark, it might be bright, it might be loud, it might be punchy... but anything you can get in that range can be made to sound GOOD.

I was very happy with the sounds I was getting out of my crappy old Japanese no name kit, and its shell was some crazy plywood-looking junk that was falling apart. With the right tuning, it sounded really good. I do consider my new maple kit to sound "better", but really it's just "different" - closer to how I want my drums to sound.

Don't worry. Do your homework on any used kit and wait for a great deal if you can. Make sure the shells and hardware are in good shape, and you're in business. Any drums you buy in that price range will sound very good.

Here's some more great options from baton rouge craigslist, 4-800bucks:

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/msg/969074742.html
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/msg/955453913.html
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/msg/940872602.html <--offer him $400 if it's in good shape, not more than 500, and less if it's beat up

That mapex on craig's is ok too, i'd stay away from that ebay mapex though, it only has an 18" bass drum, good for combos 'n jazz not for progressive rock/metal. I'd recommend at least a 22" bass drum (at least 14" deep) or a 20" that's at least 18" deep. If you're going the danny carrey route, any size toms are good, you're just going to be adding on more sizes anyway.

Personally if i picked between the 4 craigslist kits, i'd get the Tama kit and all the extras it came with, sell the stands that you don't need and that pedal and get maybe a cheap wuhan china or another b8 crash and also a tama iron cobra jr double pedal. All that for at about 800 bucks.

Back