What performance defines drummers as musicians for you?

In my younger years I was a a typical metal head so the drums were all about speed. Things like musicality and voicing were not part of my drumming vocabulary. In the early 90's I took my girlfriend to see the band Live and was absolutely blown away. Their drummer was absolutely amazing and really changed the way I looked at some things. Funny thing is I don't even know his name and I'm not googling it to pretend I do. It was one of the first times I realized the drums could be part of the arrangement and not just keeping the beat behind it.

I would have to say pretty much most things played by Alan White throughout his Yes years, but this is the first tune I ever heard by them, which my mate played me in the early 80s, and which immediately grasped my attention.

I think the drumming on this is just wonderful. So clever, subtle, and just as perfect as I've heard the song played live (and any song for that matter...for me). I've been hooked on Yes ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhk5MEugJY

In my younger years I was a a typical metal head so the drums were all about speed. Things like musicality and voicing were not part of my drumming vocabulary. In the early 90's I took my girlfriend to see the band Live and was absolutely blown away. Their drummer was absolutely amazing and really changed the way I looked at some things. Funny thing is I don't even know his name and I'm not googling it to pretend I do. It was one of the first times I realized the drums could be part of the arrangement and not just keeping the beat behind it.

Chad Gracey, and he's underrated as all hell. Neil Peart actually cited him as a drummer he admired during the 90s, and I believe it that was even before Throwing Copper came out.

Chad Gracey, and he's underrated as all hell. Neil Peart actually cited him as a drummer he admired during the 90s, and I believe it that was even before Throwing Copper came out.
Indeed underrated as all hell. Now that I think on it, he's probably why I often have a tom under my hats. And probably how I approach some of my fills.

Back to the spirit of the thread. Anything Mitch Mitchell. I don't think I need to describe his playing. Here's Jimi Hendrix Live in Stockholm in '69

For modern stuff, Jojo Mayer is really doing it for me these days. Jojo Mayer & Nerve - Live in Europe (Hinterhof, Basel)

Actually In A Gadda Da Vida did it for me.

When I was in my pre-teens, a band based out of Hawaii was a big influence. The drummer was a man named Bob Wilson, and the man had this fluid way of playing - it's too bad there are no videos to see of this guy playing. He had this uncanny ability to look like he was bouncing on his pedals, and his right hand could keep the 16ths going like there was no tomorrow. Here's a musical track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHNbk-Gdd8&list=PLPHKin2sph1U6iVTiYTnLjDyjlCNfckhf

Stewart Copeland with The Police,his drumming was much more than one third of there sound and style...... but especially on "Roxane". Simple but musical and integral to the song.

Stewart Copeland with The Police,his drumming was much more than one third of there sound and style...... but especially on "Roxane". Simple but musical and integral to the song.

God yes. He was, and is, fantastic

Keep 'em coming guys, some great examples thus far (I especially like Grea's Jeff Beck / SG example). My OP video example really does nail it for me. Every single note has a purpose, & not one extra piece of fluff. Don't get me wrong, fluff has it's place (& I'm as guilty as anyone), but I admire the restraint & choices on display. Rarely, I achieve that state, & when I do, I'm elated! :)

This is, to me, a perfect performance. I'm actually not sure which of the several drummers who played on this album tracked this song. There isn't one note I'd change or leave out.

https://youtu.be/_Casu1yaobY

Oh so many to choose from.......

Richie Hayward from Little Feat always impressed me. He could create a great groove pattern that would fit the song so well.
And then stay right in the groove for the whole song.

In this song he follows the bass line with his fills and still maintains a great groove. https://youtu.be/hkeX2iF9t6Y?list=PL_YGMXYS-fCufCQD9dcI-tyXPm1eKP1s2

A few things come to mind:

Keith Moon - The Magic Bus from Live at Leeds

Neil Peart - 2112.

Steward Copeland - Don't Stand So Close to Me

Greg Bisonette drum clinic, San Francisco, in 1989.

Back