Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 failing

EricJ

I just took it out of the package one day ago. Software installation was not smooth. Getting hardware errors. Software will not launch. Then, I google the "hardware not detected" problem and I see a lot of people have had the same problem with this item and other Focusrite products.

Now, I had polled people prior to the purchase and this item came recommended. It had the pre-amps and USB vs Firewire.

So, I am thinking I should return this and get something else.

What do you recommend? I am not spending more than $400. Would prefer USB but could go firewire if needed.

I just took it out of the package one day ago. Software installation was not smooth. Getting hardware errors. Software will not launch. Then, I google the "hardware not detected" problem and I see a lot of people have had the same problem with this item and other Focusrite products.

Now, I had polled people prior to the purchase and this item came recommended. It had the pre-amps and USB vs Firewire.

So, I am thinking I should return this and get something else.

What do you recommend? I am not spending more than $400. Would prefer USB but could go firewire if needed.

You may already know what I'm going to say, but I'm just trying to help so I will go over a few things...

1. Did you check their website for new or latest drivers, patches, etc?
2. Is there a sequence of install....for instance drivers and app first, then restart then hardware
3. Is your OS whether it be windows or mavericks the latest with any patches, service packs up to date, etc

My experience with focusrite drivers, apps has been good.

Prefer to use the hardware from Presonus.
Audiox series is pretty great 1818VSL in your case.

I read too many of the issues you're having to even bother with focurite honestly.

You may already know what I'm going to say, but I'm just trying to help so I will go over a few things...

1. Did you check their website for new or latest drivers, patches, etc?
2. Is there a sequence of install....for instance drivers and app first, then restart then hardware
3. Is your OS whether it be windows or mavericks the latest with any patches, service packs up to date, etc

My experience with focusrite drivers, apps has been good.

I had the Focusrite tech send me the drivers directly. So, I would only hope what he sent was the most current. There is really only one download for this.

Prefer to use the hardware from Presonus.
Audiox series is pretty great 1818VSL in your case.

I read too many of the issues you're having to even bother with focurite honestly.

I WAS going to buy the Presonus Studio but was told that there were virtually no pre-amps. The person in Pro Audio at guitar center recommended the Scarlett. Then, I did a lot of reading online and some others were also recommending it too.

I WAS going to buy the Presonus Studio but was told that there were virtually no pre-amps. The person in Pro Audio at guitar center recommended the Scarlett. Then, I did a lot of reading online and some others were also recommending it too.

Presonus is as good as it gets in that pricerange imo.

I'm assuming it's for recording drums so the effects it has is an added bonus although i'd still use other ones inside the DAW (using reaper here).

The studio channel & RC500 pre work amazing couple with audiobox series aswell. While the studio channel is the cheaper of the 2 i like it a lot more since it's range of applications is practically limitless And changing the tube does make a difference. I use it to record bass & as a guitar amp boost mostly but you can use it for vocals & acoustics aswell.

The main thing you need to keep in mind with presonus is that their inputs are hotter then other devices for some obscure reason. If you're going to be using the same levels as you would with a 18i20 then you'll have a clipfest going on.

Back